TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a 5.0 block in my garage for acouple months now and i know a guy who said hed sell me GT40 upper/lower intake, throttle body, 19lb injectors and GT40 Aluminum heads with 1.8 rockers and a 3 angle valve job and an X303 cam really cheap and i just wanted to know besides the wireing harness and the ignition syle, and MAF what else needs to get changed?

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
new computer and new transmission come to mind along with all components of the power steering except for the rack, a/c compressor and all related parts (except for evaporator and condenser)

As for the rockers, I’m sure you meant to type 1.6 instead of 1.8 (I hope) I’m sure that PTV would happen with 1.8’s

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i mean 1.8 rockers.... and he even had this setup on a 347 stroker and had no ptv.. and i forgot to meantion he is giving me the computer too. but i meant to ask was do i need to change motor mounts or anything on the k-member to make the block fit on it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
4.6 to 5.0

The rear face of block bolt attern is different between the 4.6 and 5.0 so you'll need a trans configured for the 5.0L RFOB. The 4.6 runs coil packs and typically the 5.0L runs a distributor but the 5.0L Explorers ran coil packs and a crank trigger set-up so if you mix/match parts it can be done (I've done it, 400 CI Windsor into a '96 Cobra). The 4.6 has an electric fan so that's not an issue, you'll just need to get a short FEAD set-up (Explorer or 94-95 Mustang). Explorer water pump had a provision for a mechanically driven fan but the SN-95 Mustang had an electric fan so that pump will work. Wiring modifications are basically to make the 5.0L think it's a 4.6. Conversion of the EGR, IABPV, etc can all be done... Assume you'll re-use the 4.6 harness and adapt the 5.0L to fit the harness (other than some wire extentions and such). $.6 and 5.0L also have different motor mount positions but if you get 5.0L top plates (91-93 5.0L T-bird application) for the engine mounts it'll work. That's all I can think of at this poine, I'm sure there are things I missed but you get the idea. You'll also have to have someone calibrate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.