TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the cougar sitting in the driveway, its paid for, and I haven't driven it-thinking I might do something with it....

Anyways, I was searching and googling today, and was looking at the exploder 4.6's.

Around my parts, they are running at about 1600$ for the motor, with 80+k miles on them.

I searched for 5.4L swap, didn't come up with much....

I read in the tech section that the swap is possible, but, I am sure that write up is dated....

Anyways, would a 5.4L even be a smart move? I see the triton 5.4L selling locally for about $1200 with less then 40k miles on them.

The tech article points out that the truck manifold sits higher, what would be other intake manifolds to consider? The article points out the use of a van intake manifold.

The tech article touched on oil pan/pickup, all these I think I can handle.

What is drawing me to the 5.4 over the 4.6, is the TQ, the mn12 is a big car, and I am just looking for a car to screw around in.

If I do go through and do this, I'd also like to swap out the TC, add in 3.73's, trak-loc, j-mod and tune.

Hints, tips, or suggestions?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
you can find an exploder motor or grand marquis motor with decently low miles on it..... check car-part.com

the deals are out there. I would stay with the 4.6L.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How big is your sense of adventure?:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
why not do a dohc 4.6 out of a mark?? its been done a bunch of times by people on here, they are even cheaper motors with a great block, better breathing heads than an explorer motor, and the 94-95 cars are supposed to be the most straightforward to swap them into. just a thought

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
A 4.6L DOHC will also make for a much quicker car than a 5.4L SOHC, stock for stock or modded to modded.

-Rod

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can find an exploder motor or grand marquis motor with decently low miles on it..... check car-part.com

the deals are out there. I would stay with the 4.6L.
This is where I have been checking.

why not do a dohc 4.6 out of a mark?? its been done a bunch of times by people on here, they are even cheaper motors with a great block, better breathing heads than an explorer motor, and the 94-95 cars are supposed to be the most straightforward to swap them into. just a thought

A 4.6L DOHC will also make for a much quicker car than a 5.4L SOHC, stock for stock or modded to modded.

-Rod
What year DOHC 4.6 am I looking for? Which TC should I put behind that?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Search Mark VIII or DOHC and I think that you will find all the info you need (there have been a few swaps more recently), but I think that the general belief is that the earlier mark years are better (93-95 iirc). The TC depends on what you will use the car for, do you care about mileage? You can also check www.greenleafauto.com for used engines.

- Stephen

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a few mark 8 motors, but they are a little farther then what I want to drive...There is one with 63k for $750 thats about 200 miles away.

Exploder motor 65k for $1500

I can get a 5.4 on my door step for under $1400 with less then 40k on it.

Ideally, if I swap a motor in, I'd prefer that it has 40k or less miles on it so I can get some abuse out of it:)

This is why I was asking if the 5.4 is a worth-while swap.

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Don't be so worried about the mileage. The modular motors routinely go over 250K miles without any trouble, so the difference from 40K to 60K is not worth worrying about. The 5.4 only makes good power numbers if it has the DOHC heads, or if its supercharged. The SOHC heads can't flow enough to feed it, and because it has such a small bore and such a long stroke, that adds to the problem. I would suggest you stay with a 4.6, and either get an explorer motor or a mark8 motor, whichever you prefer.

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
I found a few mark 8 motors, but they are a little farther then what I want to drive...There is one with 63k for $750 thats about 200 miles away.
If you're passing on that, you're being a bit too picky, IMHO. That is a great price, and it's only 200 miles from you.

Stick to a 93-95 Mark 8 engine. A Mark 8 or Marauder TC would be the two stock TC's that I would recommend, though I'd really recommend having Alan (dirtyd0g) build a TC to suit your needs.

-Rod

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I stick with a 4.6, which would be better, the explorer or the mark8? I'd like to have the ability to possibly SC it down the road, I read that the exploder has a boost-friendly CR. Part of the reason I was looking at the 5.4, was the low end the 5.4 puts out, it would prob keep the butt dyno's needs met, and possibly put an SC on it later.

I was already at dirty's web site and got it book marked along with some other stuff on my laptop.

I am being picky with lower-mileage mod motors because its going to be awhile before the car is running, if I get a lower mileage motor, the chances of something being wrong are a lot less likely, I know by the time I got the car running there would be no warranty.

What is so special about the 4.6 from 93-95 in the mark8's?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
4 valves instead of 2

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I stick with a 4.6, which would be better, the explorer or the mark8? I'd like to have the ability to possibly SC it down the road, I read that the exploder has a boost-friendly CR. Part of the reason I was looking at the 5.4, was the low end the 5.4 puts out, it would prob keep the butt dyno's needs met, and possibly put an SC on it later.

I was already at dirty's web site and got it book marked along with some other stuff on my laptop.

I am being picky with lower-mileage mod motors because its going to be awhile before the car is running, if I get a lower mileage motor, the chances of something being wrong are a lot less likely, I know by the time I got the car running there would be no warranty.

What is so special about the 4.6 from 93-95 in the mark8's?
did you check car-part.com for motors?? a lot of them are tested to see how they run and they do compression checks before they pull them, and you can search it locally.

and another plus with the mark 8 motor is the teksid block, which is a cheap aluminum race block with 6 bolt mains. so with that, the better flowing heads than the 2 valve, and the fact that it drops in easier than a 5.4 would have me won over if my tbird was gonna be a project car.

btw, is there anything wrong with the 4.6 in your car now?? i'm gonna be looking for a cheap 4.6 to drop into my tbird this winter so i can daily drive it next year, so lmk if your gonna get rid of it.

-sean

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did check car-part.com

There is nothing wrong with my 4.6, its totally stock, doesn't use oil or coolant.

I'd prob let it go cheaply.....

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts
Just want to clear up a few things on the Mark 8 engines:

1 - The Gen 1 (93-96) intake manifold is indeed less restrictive than the Gen 2 (97-98) manifold.
2 - All of the Mark 8 engines have 4V (DOHC) heads.
3 - As far as I know, the Mark 8 exhaust manifolds didn't change between Gen 1 and 2.
4 - The 93-95's were OBD-1. In 96 they went to OBD-2. The 97-98's received COP ignition (while staying OBD-2). The 93-95's would simply be the easiest to install in your 94.
5 - The Mark 8 engines (Gen 1 and 2) can handle 6 psi safely if non-intercooled, and 8 psi safely if intercooled in stock form. 6 psi non-intercooled on a stock Mark 8 engine will easily put you above 325 rwhp.

-Rod

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do I use my eec to control the mark8 motor, or do I need that too?

If one had a choice, which would be better, the mark8 or the exploder?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do I use my eec to control the mark8 motor, or do I need that too?

If one had a choice, which would be better, the mark8 or the exploder?
your supposed to modify the stock harness and have the stock computer tuned for the motor, but racecougar will chime in on the exact details.

i'd go with the mark8 motor if it were me. cheaper motor cost and more airflow than the explorer. it seems like 94-95 cars are better for a mark8 swap and the 96-97 cars are better candidate for the explorer

1 - 20 of 57 Posts