TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 bird started this morn and died about a mile down the road! No symptoms of a prob. before this. Engine cranks but no spark ( I held #1 plug against alternator and cranked). The ign. module is suppose to be on right side fender up front. Is not there. Do you think it's the ign. module giving me the no start prob? If so I can't find it on my "97 4.6!! Please help! Thanks a lot! Larry

·
5,650 Posts
You have no ignition module on your car. In 96 and later, the ignition module was done away with and all functionality was integrated into the PCM. Since you have no spark, you probably have a bad or loose connection at the crank sensor. If you look at the front of the engine, at the bottom left (passenger side) is the A/C compressor. In that area, there is the crank position sensor, and it goes into the side of the engine block. Push up on the electrical connector and try starting it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Chris! Anyhow I tried what you said w/no results. Seems to be in pretty good( I also giggled the two wires going into the connector). Larry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris: The SES light does not come on . Also the tach is not moving while cranking. I checked all fuses and they seem to be Okay. Larry

·
5,650 Posts
If the SES doesn't come on at all, the computer doesn't have power. If the fuses are all good (which you should double check b/c it is possible to miss, esp. the #15 fuse under the hood), then you may have a problem with computer relay in the CCRM (search for info about this) or a ground somewhere.

·
Registered
680 Posts
On a side note, my CEL doesn't come on when I put the car in the run position, but my car still starts and runs. The light does work, too, because it came on when my ignition wires were bad, but Master486 is right that you should check those things (he tends to always figure this stuff out).

I would think it would be worth it for him to take the sensor out, since I think (IIRC) that I have read that peoples sensors have (physically) broken while still attached.

Stephen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,is the ccrm in the computer? I'll switch one of the other # fuses(20amp) with the #15 . thanks again, Larry

·
5,650 Posts
The "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light should illuminate and stay illuminated once the ignition is put to the ON position. It should then go out when you turn to START and remain off unless there is some problem that would cause it to come on. That is the normal behavior of the light.

The CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) is a box of relays in the engine compartment. It houses relays for the electric cooling fan, fuel pump, computer, and A/C clutch. The reason I mentioned this module is because is supplies power to the computer.

For now let's assume that we can't rely on the SES light to tell us anything. When you turn the key to ON (without starting the car or trying to), can you hear the fuel pump come on for a couple seconds?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for being ignorant but where exactly is this box of relays? Also is the PCM the 3"x 4" black box bracket mounted to the underside of the glove box? There is no sound at all coming from the pump that I can hear from in the car w/ign. to on. Thanks again!

·
5,650 Posts
The CCRM is located in between the passenger headlight and the air intake box. It is black and held on a bracket bolted to the radiator support. That black box under the glove box is the control module for the variable assist steering.

If the pump isn't coming on, this confirms my initial thoughts that the PCM (computer) isn't getting power or that it's not able to command the fuel pump to come on. When you turn the key to ON, do you hear any clicking come from the aforementioned CCRM?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Chris, each time I turn the ign. to ON I get one click . One click each time. Also where exactly is the PCM on my 97? I thought the 3x4 black box was it. Thanks! Larry

·
5,650 Posts
The PCM is behind the passenger side kick panel. If you are handy with a multimeter, you should measure power at the #15 fuse in the underhood power distribution box and see if you have any there. If you don't, then it would be time to look to see if there is power at the CCRM.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
In addtion to the SES light not being on when the key is in the RUN position, does the radiator cooling fan always run in that position?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris:pulling the #15(20amp fuse) and w/ign. on I get 12 volts @ the fuse connection. However, Keeping the ign. on and reinstalling the fuse I get a click and and I can hear a fan or something running for a few seconds and then the #15 fuse blows. Thanks again,Larry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BANGSTER: Please read my last post. That might be the fan running. If so it sounds like it's running slow. I need to buy more 20amp fuses an try again. thanks.Larry

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CHRIS and BANGSTER: Update: disconnect rad. fan motor elect. conn. and PCM harness connector .Turn ign. to on reinstall good fuse in #15 get one click from box of relays but fuse DOES NOT blow. AS soon as I reconnect harness to PCM fuse blows. Wouldn't that indicate a bad PCM ? Thanks as always, Larry

·
5,650 Posts
You have a short somewhere. The PCM is fine. There is a thread on here somewhere about a 97 that was having similar issues as yours and the cause was some wires at the rear of the engine that had shorted. I believe it might have been to the EGR pressure feedback sensor. You might want to try searching or looking at the rear of the engine for a sensor that has 3 wires going to it and 2 rubber hoses attached to the bottom. Then check out the wiring for any problems. And also you want to search around elsewhere for wiring issues as well. If you want to isolate the problem, you can remove the engine harness connector by undoing the 10mm bolt on the bulkhead connector near the passenger shock tower and see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't, you know the short is in the engine wiring harness.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had similar problem with my 97, but it never blew the fuse, so I don't want to lead you astray, but I had two wires off the main harness across the back totally burned of the sheath and touching.

I found that I could grab the main harness and move it side to side and get the fan to stop and the SES to come on, then it would run, but it would die at inopportune moments so I dug into it.

I took some pictures, but this seems like it might be slightly different, so I would follow other peoples advise about a short someplace, either in the main harness or elsewhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok Chris I know that it's in the eng. harness. Question: If I disconnect one plug in @ a time with the eng. harness hooked up without blowing the fuse then would that line be the culprit? ( or am I going about it the wrong way) Thanks,Larry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts