TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally gotten around to installing the engine/transmission in my 90 XR7. I've been busy installing the 97 interior and rewiring most of the car. This past weekend we were able to drop in a brand new 94 Mark 8 engine with a used 94 4R70W. We dropped the engine/trans combo in from the top, rather than from beneath the car as many people do. We installed the headers onto the engine once it was partially in the engine bay. With the Kooks headers (1 3/4" primaries, 3" collectors) bolted to the engine, it was an extremely tight fit between the shock towers. We actually slipped sheets of thin packing material between the shock towers and the headers to prevent the paint from being scratched. The K-member was unbolted and lowered to allow us more room to work with.

This car should be on the road by mid-summer. There is still a lot of work to be done before then.

Here are some pictures to feast your eyes on:

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jordansypek said:
Put a 5speed in it!!!!!
Heck no.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
thats good stuff....it wil be another fast bird with overal class like your 94 with the splitport in it...:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
When I did mine we lowered the engine in with the manifolds still on. We never took the tranny out of the car though. so never took the K member completely off, just loosened the bolts to let it hand lower for a little more room to work. Looks like things dropped in pretty smoothly.

Did you get the coated or uncoated Kooks? What was the charge for them with the 4V flange on there? Once its down in there how much clearance do they have around everything?

Had the intake tube on there and the hood shut yet, how is the clearance on the older hood? They give the appearance that they don't slope down quite as much as the hoods on the 94/5 Birds. You can see little scuffs in the paint on my intake tube at its highest point because it rubs a bit, not bad ones, they easily rub out. I also cut the hood insulation in another spot where it was going to rub goint under some bracing.

Can't wait to se it all done. Going to do gears while you're at it too?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
OK, now I'm getting jealous!! :eek:

Everyone seems to be dropping a DOHC into their MN-12's and mine is still sitting on the engine stand! Grrrrrr :bawling:

Just kidding! Good job and keep us posted!! :thumbsup:

But while we’re on the subject of the DOHC swap, I have a couple of questions I had wanted to ask: :D

What water lines did you use from the engine to heater core (Mark, T’Bird, or custom)?
What fuel lines did you use from the chassis to the Mark fuel rail?

Just wondering. :D

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4 Cam Bird,

I'm using the coated Kooks headers with 1 3/4" primaries, 3" collectors, and 4V flanges. Total cost shipped through SCP was $800.

I should be able to take some pictures of the clearance around the headers next weekend. They are close to the frame rails and the steering column, but they shouldn't touch even when the engine is torqued over (under load). There is actually plenty of room to change the starter if I had to (I have a brand new starter on it). Overall, I'm very happy with the fit of the headers.

I haven't even come close to putting the hood on the car yet, but that is one thing that I'm kind of concerned about. I'd really like to use the stock hood on this car to retain some amount of "sleeperness" and since it is already painted.

This car already has the FRPP centersection, but I may step it up to 4.10's. We'll have to see how it runs with the 3.73's first though.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
94 Daily Driven 4.6L,

I wanted to use a new pair of heater hoses for a 94 Mark 8. However, Ford apparently doesn't make them anymore, and I couldn't find anyone that carried them. I actually had to go with AC Delco heater hoses (don't tell anyone). Believe it or not, the ones that I got match the Mark 8 hoses perfectly. By the way, I'm using a 94-97 MN12 heater core, 89-93 heater cores would require different hoses. If you need the part numbers for the hoses, I should be able to get them for you next weekend.

I haven't had a chance to look at fuel lines yet, but I'm wondering if the original lines from the XR7 will work.

Once again, thanks for the kind words guys. Reading your responses and seeing people's faces when they see this stuff in person really makes projects like this worthwhile.

Feel free to ask any questions here, in a PM, or at [email protected].

-Rod

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Everyone seems to be dropping a DOHC into their MN-12's
Not me... but those pix look a bit similar to recent pix of GB.. especially the ones with the empty engine bay... It'll be full before too long..

4 Cam Bird said:
Once its down in there how much clearance do they have around everything?
Clearance? What clearance??? There isn't much. Here's some pix of my Kooks install. Can't imagine the clearance will differ much if anything between the 2v and 4v....

Installed, the passenger side looked like this

Note the minimal clearance on the outside of the pipes. Engine height, level and centering is pretty critical, there is little room for error.

The driver's side looked like this:

Note there is not a lot of side-to-side clearance here also. The next view shows the clearance below the pipes on the driver's side:

Note that the clearance below the pipe is just about the same distance that engine sits above the metal casing of the motor mount. Below is a picture of the old mount showing the rubber has collapsed inside the casing and there is wear on the casing:

Had I used the old mount, the header pipe would not have cleared...

Now about matching the headers up to my custom dual exhaust:

The initial plan was to fab collectors:

and weld a pretty much standard straight downpipe with a 90* bend down far enough to make room to weld in two free flow cats. This kinda gives you the idea:

As you can see the Kooks collector comes down pretty low and my exhaust guy determined that if he went straight down to a 90* to make room for cats, the exhaust would hang below the chassis. So instead he made up a collector/downpipe with a 45* just below the connection, thereby keeping the exhaust inside the chassis:

My exhaust guy does not have a mandrel bender, but he used the flare tool to open up the 45* to prevent back pressure or turbulence.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the clearances are pretty similar with the DOHC w/Kooks in my XR7. It's tight, but there is still room to get to necessary bolts, etc.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Daily Driven 4.6-I actually was able to use the stock 94 4.6L T-bird fuel lines on mine. They reached and connected staight to the engine without a problem.

I used the stock T-bird heater hoses also. There was some stretching to get them on to the tubes but I haven't had any problems with them. I don't think I could get these hoses for myself from work even. Don't know who originally did the Mark hoses, but I know it wasn't GoodYear.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Cool!!

Thanks for the answers so fast! :thumbsup:

I think I'm probably going to replace my fuel lines because the return plastic line feels like if I move it too far, it will snap. (265K miles and I guess it's happy where its at. :D )

Thanks again, and sorry to hear about the headers!! I know the feeling. :mad:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yeah, I think the car will probably get some brakes and be done getting modded after this deal. I am pretty disappointed about the whole situation. Dan from ART has been a nice guy and good to work with so far, but it is really disappointing to wait so long for parts and have them not fit right. I probably wouldn't have ordered them if I had known ahead of time that I was going to have to beat on the floor to make them fit. Now that I have them if it wasn't for the starter hitting I might beat the floor around anyway to make them fit, but even if I do that the starter still hits so it isn't much use. I still am not so sure that even then the tubes wouldn't still hit the sides. I had to pry the engine over with it hanging there to get the one into place so they were wedged in pretty well. It'll be a fun auto-xer still. But the Lightning I am looking at, and will most likely buy, will probably end up way faster in a straight line than the car and my plan is to do it while keeping it stock appearing. You don't know that windsor is punched out to a 408 from the outside ;) Do some port work and extrude hone some manifolds, hide a fogger system under the intake. Could be a lot of fun. While the blower engine I wanted to bild the T-bird would have been fun, it wouldn't have been much of a sleeper anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts