TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a 1994 Thunderbird in the newspaper. It has the 4.6L V8 power everything, moon roof, kenwood audio system, and its got 112,000 miles on it. I currently own a 1996 Cougar XR-7 with the 3.8 V6. Are there alot of parts/mods you can find for the 4.6 or is it like the 3.8 where u can bearly find jack. I didnt want to buy another car that i cant do alot to like i did with the cougar.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The 4.6 is a great motor that'll last a long time, but yes the 96/97's are generally more reliable (trannys are too)

While it does have the aftermarket of the Mustang, parts for a 4.6 are still nothing compared to the 5.0, and still many times more expensive.

Didn't stop me though. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What goes out on the 94's...i looked in the paper and for a 96 they want like 6 grand for it and i cant come up with that kind of money...lol

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The 94's had the worst trannys of all. If it has had a rebuild it might be fine. If not you will be spending money on it anyways nad might as well spend it now on the 96+. The 95s were slightly better but not all that much. Yes 112K is bearly anything to the 4.6 motor but Id still look for a lower milage one. You can get 94/95s with 50-90K for 3 grand now. Just gotta look around.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My '94 has 182,000 miles on it and I neatural drop it at least twice a month. I have never had any problems with Mr. Transmission. Also, how much are they asking for the '94 LinkinPark?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
birdmandan said:
My '94 has 182,000 miles on it and I neatural drop it at least twice a month. I have never had any problems with Mr. Transmission. Also, how much are they asking for the '94 LinkinPark?

:eek: :eek:
neutral drops are bad, mmkay?
:uppoint:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Never do neutral drops.
It's definitely worthwhile trading up from a 3.8 to a 4.6. I've driven both and the performance difference is like WAHOO! I also recommend finding a 1996/97.

·
8,239 Posts
get a 96+ car, and you will thank yourself later.

Check ebay, they are dirt cheap, especially cougars.

The 94-95 transmission is nothing to write home about.

But, the 4.6 motor is a pretty much bulletproof taxi motor. If you change the oil it will go 200k easially.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im just gonna find a 5.0 or maybe a 4.6 and drop it in to my cougar....i think i found a 5.0 in a salvage yard..but i will have to go and look at it. Also i know there is a 3.8 out there in like a 94 i think or older but i could take that one out and rebuild it and drop it in mine... but i like the 5.0 idea better...lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and they want 3200 for that t-bird... for a 96 tbird they want 5800:mad:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
LiNkInPaRkFaN4LiFe said:
Oh and they want 3200 for that t-bird... for a 96 tbird they want 5800:mad:
I feel like I was robbed now. I payed $5,995 for my '95 a in May of 2002. Oh well, I would never go back and change my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts