TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking stock heads and stock bolts...i'm trying to tighten the heads to factory specs, because i think over 13 years the heads loosened just a bit and now oil is getting out...just a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
uhm. If oil is leaking you need new head gaskets. My guess is that oil is leaking out through the exhaust manifold gaskets due to the valve seals being shot and oil going out the exhaust. If the head bolts loosen you will leak coolant and oil.
Alan

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It's probably more likely that your engine is leaking elsewhere, like the valve seals.

-Rob

·
Registered
583 Posts
For the purposes of the original question (search hits):

Original specs call for 30ft-lb inital torque, then 90Deg, and another 90Deg.

2003 Specs call for 30ft-lb, then 90Deg, Loosen at least one full turn, then 30ft-lb, 90Deg, 90Deg.

These Torque to Yield (TTY) bolts are one time use, only.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I've always used the 03 specs with new bolts, with success

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dirtyd0g you hit it on the head...(no pun intended) I have been leaking coolant, AND there is oil ON the heads....and I'm burning oil as well. So i think that is my problem...just got a 150ft-lb torque wrench for christmas...hoping to try it out on some new headbolts....do you guys think I could do valve seals myself? My dad did them once on a ford ranger...completely different engine, but same concept yes?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
if your changing head bolts and want to change your valve seals why not just pull the heads, change the seals while there out of the car, put new headgaskets on with the new bolts and torque them down?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just change the heads for 96+ heads or PI heads and put some PI cams in the thing while you are at it. I doubt head bolts will fix it the gaskets are going to need to be changed as well at this point. 96+npi heads are pretty easy to find as are PI cams. If you go to PI heads you have more intake options that work without any changes or worries.
Alan

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i'll take your advice :D When I get some cash...how much are we talking for all that you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I sent you a PM about it. I would have to figure the exact parts list to quote it. It comes down to the more you have to spend the better the setup gets. If you want to keep the current intake the NPI heads will be the easiest to use.
Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts