TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can one take a 4.6L engine and run it off like a T-bird 5.0L EEC-IV and harness (with connectors and odd sensors changed ?)

IE turning a OBD2 engine into a OBD1 engine :)

it's just been a something i've been wondering.. Also i know the tranny issues too.. but that's doesn't have anything to do with getting a engine to run :tongue:

thanks for any thoughts that may come up..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The Mark VIII's started off as OBD I so I don't see why you couldn't make it work with a chip unless there isn't enough tuning ability in a chip to do it. I don't know why you would want to though. Sounds like a huge waste of time.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 Cam Bird said:
The Mark VIII's started off as OBD I so I don't see why you couldn't make it work with a chip unless there isn't enough tuning ability in a chip to do it. I don't know why you would want to though. Sounds like a huge waste of time.
Well it is just one of those thing yah know.. just a thing i wondered..
and yah the early mark 8's had OBD1 EEC-IV's controling their engine and trannies.. but they weren't exactly a normal run of the mill EEC either :)

I just see getting the sensors to to work with the EEC is the key thing.. yah the EEC will still think there's an extra .4L's there but the O2's and MAF should help fix that??

oh and i was expecting a `waste of time' or `why the hell you want to do that' kinda reply too :tongue:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would say no.

Mainly because the 5.0L has a distributor and the 4.6 has DIS.

The reverse? I would believe so. One day I actually plan to convert my 351 to a distributorless 4.6L EEC 5 system (for better tunability purposes and the possibility of going back to an automatic tranny that's EEC controlled). All I'd really have to do is saw a distributor in half and use the bottom half as an oil pump drive. Everything else seems like it would be fairly simple to rig up.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Isn't the dis system seperate from the pcm? I'm sure some wiring changes would need to be made. I don't see the benefit of obd1 am I missing something?
Alan

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mercoug302 said:
I would say no.

Mainly because the 5.0L has a distributor and the 4.6 has DIS.

All I'd really have to do is saw a distributor in half and use the bottom half as an oil pump drive. Everything else seems like it would be fairly simple to rig up.
NOW there's a key problem.. the Distributor... or lack there of on a 4.6L Well still may be possible.. where the chip will come in handy to moddify the `timing' output (Spout) of the EEC-IV's to match that of the input of the 4.6L EDIS system??

Also use a 5.0L Explorer `distributor' thingy that holds the Cam postition senor?? :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OKay.. just need to get a PIP signal back to the EEC, can't be the END of the world to do that...

Get a EDIS-8 ?? module, get a aftermarket controler for it.. (reads RPM and MAP and can be program for what advance you want..)

and get a Chip to redo a few sensors, and firing order???

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Well it's not hard to repin the eec harness for the DIS system, and have a chip burned for it.

But why not just get a chip to delete the OBD-II stuff? It'd be WAY easier.

-Thomas

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
OBD-I 4.6L Fords
In addition to the Mark VIII, early Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Cars (92-94) use an OBD-I EEC for an SOHC 4.6L with the external EDIS like the 94-5 MN12s do. If you find an early to mid-92 car, you can even get one from a 4.6L car backed by an AOD. The beauty of this is that since the AOD was all hydraulic, there are no trans controls in operation - making it perfect for a 5 spd. car.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
OBD-I 4.6L Fords
In addition to the Mark VIII, early Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Cars (92-94) use an OBD-I EEC for an SOHC 4.6L with the external EDIS like the 94-5 MN12s do. If you find an early to mid-92 car, you can even get one from a 4.6L car backed by an AOD. The beauty of this is that since the AOD was all hydraulic, there are no trans controls in operation - making it perfect for a 5 spd. car.
Or just have a tune burned to shut off the transmission controls...

Personally, I can't see the point to going backwards with the electronics, besides the potential problems with the smog nazis, especially for people who live in CA. Going ahead, I can see. I put a '97 PCM in my 95 to get rid of the external EDIS. I also wanted a computer fully OBDII complient, and I also found that the '97 PCM monitors at least one more parameter that the '95 PCM doesen't: Net Torque. I wouldn't mind putting an '02 Mustang PCM in (I wouldn't mind having COP to get rid of the plug wires), if I had the time to work out everything, but I think that would relly be too much work under the dash and hood to make it work. Putting the '96 harness and '97 PCM in was enough work, since the plugs didn't match exactly. Not to mention the returnless fuel system...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silver95Bird said:
OBD-I 4.6L Fords
Yah i was reading about that one a site discousing EDIS....

Also why not go backwards, ain't for offer a 5.0L DOHC with Carbs?? OH MY GO HOW COULD THEY!!!! how stone age :p

hey running a 4.6L off of a SDS FI system witha Map sensor and being crank fired with DIS would be cool.. :) Basic.. Batched fired... and gets the job done :)

Hmmm wonder what Mechincal FI with Slide Valve bodies will be like on a 4.6L :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts