TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pawn Shop Pro
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine puffs a bit sometimes and I think its the rings, what would the price be to replace these?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
First, welcome to the boards. :thumbsup:

I would say that 99.9% of the time, a puff of smoke after idling, is the valve stem seals. It is a known problem with the early 4.6L's. The later 4.6L's have an improved seal.

"Search" is your friend. :D

Replacing the seals isn't too involved, but it does require pulling the valve covers, removing the followers, etc.

I have had good luck with using Valvoline MaxLife and it greatly reduced the oil smoke.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
also, if it is the valve stem seals..as long as you keep enough oil in the car, you should have no problems. You might try running synthetic oil or an oil treatment and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Welcome also.
Mine was puffing smoke bad when first started and after taking off from an idle. 161k on the odometer. I knew from reading on this board that it would not hurt anything, but it was embarrassing. A bottle of Lucas oil additive cleared it right up.

That was my solution. Hope it helps.
Rob

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
if your 4.6 is smoking too much you should try a nicotine patch so it won't have the craving of smoking.....:tongue:

nah, as the others said keep your eye on the oil levels, i had the same problem when i had my 95 xr7 4.6

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
mine never smoked before the exhaust came....now that it only has one mid mounted muffler and no cats....it smokes after idling at a light....i look at the oil level to keep it up...but it never goes down....i guess my cats hid all that blue smoke...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts