TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a complete SOHC to DOHC kit for my 4.6L T-Bird, it runs like a stripped butt ape now, but I was informed that there is such a animal. Could someone send me the info.

THX

eraudog

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Hello,
welcome to the boards ...

There is not a 'kit' available for such a conversion. If you click the search button up on the top part of the forums, type in "DOHC swap" or something like that. There have been a few members that have done it before ... 4 cam bird is one of them.

You can use a Lincoln Mark VIII engine or a Cobra engine. There are minute differences over the years that I'm totally not sure about. Search through some of the threads you will find.

I am sure that 4 cam bird posted a 'what i bought and how much it cost' type thread. Some things (engine namely) can be picked up from a junk yard, while other things (torque converter while you're doing the engine swap) can be purchased new through our 'preferred vendors' (Max @ 5 Star Ford ... Dan Newman @ Joe Cooper Ford, Dennis Reinhart @ Reinhart Automotive).

Splicing the harness is probably one of the more difficult parts (I would assume). Check back with me next year ... when I do a DOHC swap ... ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Your first link calls it a Cobra engine but the info says its out of a Continental. I don't really know why you couldn't put a Continental engine in a reardrive car, but I would imagine exhaust manifolds or something would need to be changed for it to work.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Don't use a Cobra engine over a Marks. You would need a new hood for the intake to fit. And anyway a cobra engine will always cost more, and all you are getting is 15 hp and few more ft. lbs. Find a Mark in a junk yard, and use all the parts off of it, it will be alot easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts