TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv searched this forum for a while now and been all over the web trying to just find some very beginner advice on trying to tune up my 1994 thunderbird.

First of all iv always been around people who have suped up cars but have almost 0 experience and now i dont live near anyone so i cant get much help. Also if anyone knows a site that might fit what im trying to do, give me a url and i dont mind reading i just need to find the sites to read, this is going to be a big learning project as i get cash so i would like any help or advice if there is a better or cheeper rout to getting my HP up.....

i guess all i can ask right now is who makes the best aftermarket headers for this engine and, if they are all the same then where is it cheeper and is it even a noticable increase in HP with this. I read on the site that it only gives about 5 hp. is that even noticeable.

what other smaller part should i be looking into as far as engine performance. Im planning on putting a nice turbo intercooler system in it when i get the cash so i dont want to put anything in the car that will conflict with that. How much psi from a turbo is relistic that i could get for this car?

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Kooks makes the best headers by far.

As far as a turbo you would have to be the first to do a turbo 4.6L MN-12.

You could run 8-9lbs aftercooled I think with the right tune.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
As of right now, there is no feasible turbo system for the 4.6 MN12. I believe that's being worked on though, as we speak.

As far as headers go, there are 3 sets out there, and only one of them will give you performance without headaches. Those are the Kooks, available at www.supercoupeperformance.com The other 2 options are JBA's and SSAC headers, which both have problems, and noone has really seen much of a performance gain from them. Headers alone on the MN12 won't give you much power, unless the factory manifolds are a restriction to you, but at most power levels, you can get a lot more performance out of $600 than headers will give you.

To get performance for your buck, the best mods to start out with would have to be to get rid of the factory violin case intake, there are a couple options, a Civic CAI, or a cut '02 GT tube are 2 of the favorites, unless you can get your hands on a RichardM intake tube, and if you can, snatch it up. A chip combined with the '02 GT MAF is always a good bet, and gears and a torque converter really help get these beasts moving.

First thing is to perform the JMod in the tech articles, get a good tranny cooler, and Mercon V. Then check your balljoints before you start modding that thing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok, if you are serious about getting a turbo in the future.
DO NOT BUY HEADERS.
Almost 90% of your turbo set ups come with headers in thier
kit because the turbo's or turbo are usually intergrated with the header.

Unless you plan on buying the aftermarket headers availible for our cars
such as Kook's or Jba's and integrating you own turbo or turbo's to
them.

Steve 4.6L

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Don't forget he lives in smog nazi land. JBA's are the only ones 50 state legal IIRC. How in the world would you get a turbo'd T-bird through smog checks there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts