TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the 4.6L has a timing chain, and not a t-belt.

Is the 4.6L an "interference" type engine? does the pistons and valves smash in to each other if the t-chain breaks?

What's the recommendation for changing/checking the t-chains? I didn't find anything in the maitenance booklet(I read through it pretty fast, though)
I know some cars have to have them changed every 60K miles or so.

Has anyone had to change the t-belt in a 4.6L?
My engine has 93,000 mies...should I be concerned, and have it inspected? (the engine doesn't show any trouble symptoms, but then I don't what exactly the symptoms would be, either..:)
Any comments are thankfully welcome.

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
people have went over 200k with the stock chains and they havet had a problem dont worry about em they wont break and if they do break you could bent a valve but you dont need to change em in my opinion unless your doing like a cam swap or head swap and you want to do it just to be safe you can i changed mines when i did the head swap .

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
if those things break ill give my car away to a homeless man....i have some if you want me to go wild and test the durability of them

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was told they are not interference motors...... like if you brake a chain the engine shuts off and all you have to fix is the chain....on the other hand you break a honda timing belt just go ahead and price youeself a new motor!!!

-Derrick-

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The pistons will hit the valves if a 4.6 is not timed right. If chain(s) break, damage would almost certainly result, probably in the form of bent valves. I read somewhere that these chains were designed to go at least 200K. Besides, look at all the crown vic taxis that can get 300-400K with no internal engine work. I would let the chains go until 200K or so, unless I was really bored. Or wait until you do a headswap or some other kinda internal work on the car. If you do the chains, pick up the one piece crank sprocket, just for fun. :D Hope this helps some man
-Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Per the OEM Manuals, the 4.6L is an interference engine.

Remember that the timing chains have self-adjusting hydraulic tensioners, so there isn't a lot of slack when the get worn. And the later ones (93+ I think) are double roller type, so they are very good chains.

I have 260K on my 4.6L and it's still running like a champ (knock on wood. :D )

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
a t-chain wouldnt result in a sound of a rod knock almost if it were to go bad...... just curious i had to replace my motor cause i hear a rod knock sound car ran great but it sounded like some one was hitting the block with a sledge hammer lol some one told me could have been a timing belt scince i saw this post thought i would askk

thanks
tommy

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great replies/info/advice/support !!!

I do feel a lot better, and I guess I can relax for quite a while before worrying about the t-chain, then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts