Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(yes I used the search feature)

So there's this very nice Supercharged 3.8 with a manual trans in a yard not five mins from home and the more miles I tack onto my already aging 4.6L, the more I think about that poor Cougar sitting there getting no love. How much of a pain would it be to swap the engine in if I pull the engine, trans, PCM, ECU and wiring harness? IIRC, the SC engine has ~85k miles on it and my 4.6L has a good ~170k miles...

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,346 Posts
It would be a feat with a 96, many wiring connectors, terminals, and even harness channels changed after 95 that would make even an entire harness conversion difficult.

There's many things that need to be addressed to make the SC even close to as reliable as the 4.6. That includes MLS head gaskets, head studs, BHJ balancer ect. Even then you'll have the general maintenance woes that are a PITA on the SC for very little benefit over the 4.6.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So in your opinion, would it be better to rebuild the 4.6 and supercharge/turbo it and eventually do a t45 swap?

Also...was out driving tonight, seems I've developed a miss and the TC is starting to go out as well...oh joy |: (

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
If you do it, you'd get rid of the lame trans and at least have a decent one instead. Also if you dont already have the all plastic intake replaced thats a pain in the ahole to replace. I'd do it if I were you I know the feeling of wanting an engine swap because of the low out 4.6. If you can do it..do it. Its not the best upgrade but then again the best costs a lot more. If it can be done cheap enough its worth it plus the 6 fits better even with the SC stuff.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
To do this swap you would the whole SC and in your boat if its not a 94/95 I wouldn't even think about it.
If you wanted a SC V6 I'd look at a 11 F150 Eco boot 3.5.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If it can be done cheap enough its worth it plus the 6 fits better even with the SC stuff.
Trust me the SC'ed 3.8 give you less room than a 4.6 belive it or not. With the IC, downtubes and accescories. That stuff takes up room fast. To get everything to work properly you have to swap engine harness, and dash harnesses, the harnes going through the firewall to the PCM, change heatercores, mfg a new power steering line, and the list goes on. It does help to have a whole car to work with, but if your going to do it your better off doing it to 94-95 car. Also with him saying its a SC'ed cougar makes me think its a first gen motor which is even harder to swap to a 96-97 car. Again trust me I've got a 94 SC and a 90 SC. Matt and I were talking about this about a week ago it would be a hard swap going from 1st gen motor to second gen car. Swapping the motors over is a big job, getting them to work would be a bigger PITA. Also maitenence is not as cheap as it is for the 4.6. The 3.8 SC motor is for our cars only it was ever offered in the mustang or any other Ford vehicle. The 4.6 is offered in a wide array of Ford vehicles, meaning the parts are going to be a little cheaper.

Combatspace, if you have the time money a paitence do it, otherwise stick with your 4.6. Do the PI headswap and upgrade the trans to a T-56 toss a set of gears in the rear and call it a day :D

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Do a pi headswap and a t45

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a pi headswap and a t45
I'm thinking that's gonna be the plan for now. I have a guy with some heads waiting for me in Mississippi, I just need to collect all the parts for a t45 swap. Some of which I can pull offa that SC'd cougar I was talking about earlier.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
There's many things that need to be addressed to make the SC even close to as reliable as the 4.6. That includes MLS head gaskets, head studs, BHJ balancer ect. Even then you'll have the general maintenance woes that are a PITA on the SC for very little benefit over the 4.6.
X2 with what Matt said, its really more work than its worth.
:( Wow! where's the SC love:rolleyes:

Best advice I ever got was, if you want "such n such car" you're better off buying it than building it!

I guess the problem comes when they didn't make what they should have! A 5-speed V8 T-bird!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Don't get me wrong the SC is a sweet car and all, hell I'd love to own (a real) one, but Ford should have given the V8 cars the option of a 5spd bolted up to a Mark VIII 4.6 but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Please dont destroy another Super Coupe - if you want it, just leave it in the car it came in and work with that.

I have my eye on a 1991 4.6 Crown Vic with an AOD transmission .. one of these days I might come up on it and consider a m5r2 swap on a 4.6.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe I conceded to keep the V8 and go with a set of heads and a t45 swap way back in what was it...nearly a month ago? I'll definitely scavenge that SC for the foot pedals and the master/slave cylinders and all the linkage, but yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with the tired old v8 for now. Besides, i need to get me some nice new wheels before a tranny swap is even in the works.

·
Banned
287 Posts
Damn, don't let the SC guys read this, it might start all kinds of crap.... :eek:

ON EDIT: This is for all SC guys, and not just the cool ones over there on SCCOA...

·
Super Moderator
12,415 Posts
thats like taking a step backwards.....don't swap a V6 for a V8, even if it has a turbo encabulator.
You mean "don't swap a V8 for a V6 ..." ? :D

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Damn, don't let the SC guys read this, it might start all kinds of crap.... :eek:
We dont care if you want to attempt a swap of monumental proportions - installing a SC motor into a Non-SC .. go for it.

Just dont ask how to put it into your mustang. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You mean don't let the mustang guys read anything from here or SCCoA because they might start crying about it.
Seriously, we all know you got banned from SCCoA. What you fail to tell everyone is that you deserved it. So lose the chip on your shoulder please.
Nobody here just like there wants to hear all about your mustang and how it is faster because it is more uncomfortable and weaker. We just don't care, if it is all about faster because it is lighter you should throw away that heavy mustang and build a trike or something.
Alan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.