TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here so dont mind my dumb questions, what all can i do to my motor to put some power to my back wheels without tearing into my engine i would like to do this last if possible im just wanting to upgrade my engine berfore going extreme and emptying out my wallet so if i could get a list of parts for this it would be great than well work on the real thing if im not satisfied with the results im also doing the j mod on my tranny so id like to have some power any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
4.10 gears (Trak-Lok), 3800 stall, Jmod, and a tune will get you started.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Lower ball joints, strut bar bushings, shocks/struts. Before I would attempt to "go faster" in a 94 (or any year MN12 for that matter) I would check all of the above. The lower ball joints are prone to failure on these cars.

From there I would clean the MAF, EGR passages on the intake (PITA), replace fuel filter, air filter, plugs/wires. Also, change the trans. fluid and filter, and refill with Mercon V, not Mercon III as the owners manual states.

Assuming it's running right then the above mentioned upgrades would be a start. I would also start saving for a new trans, as the stock 94/95 trans isn't known to be the strongest 4R70W made. I got about 95K out of my stock one with a cooler installed, switching to mercon V and the j-mod. Your results may vary.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
Definitely agree with FordMan on this one. You do NOT want to start putting any money into "go fast" mods until you've taken care of all the routine maintenance items on the vehicle. Putting performance mods onto any car only stresses the individual components more, and any that are barely hanging on to life (especially after 16+ years of use) will just end up failing that much more quickly, possibly leaving you stranded, injured, or worse. Not to mention if you've spent money to "go fast" then something small and minuscule breaks, you're stuck going nowhere while you wait to spend the time and money to fix something else.

And on an unrelated note, please at least try to use periods and commas in your sentences. Not using punctuation not only makes it difficult to read and understand your statements, but it also insinuates that the extra time I have to spend decoding your post isn't worth the extra time you would have spent adding proper punctuation. This can (and often does) make quite a few of the more senior (and knowledgeable) members here a bit unhappy and unwilling to post.

And one more thing; as others have said... search first, and read the stickied posts. 90% of everything you want to know has already been asked and covered in detail in the forums. Spending some time going through the technical articles will help get you up to speed on some things. It grows tiring to answer the same questions every week.

I'm not particularly trying to jump down your throat, but this is how things are around here. If you intend to get the most out of your car with our help, you need to respect both your car and those of us here. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts