TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before, but, I want your input. Which would be cheaper to get into the low 14's. A 92-93 5.0 bird or a 94-95 4.6L bird.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
5.0 if your going all motor....

a 4.6 needs probably a chip, exhaust, gears, little shift kit action, to get into high 14's....

5.0's have way more of an aftermarket out there, so 14's are nothing with a 5.0...

you could always slap a 125 shot on either one :)

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
SilverBird02 said:
I know this has been asked before, but, I want your input. Which would be cheaper to get into the low 14's. A 92-93 5.0 bird or a 94-95 4.6L bird.

Like Jordan said....5.0L aftermarket parts are DIRT CHEAP. You could get a cam (E cam?) off of eBAY for like $130. GT-40 intake.....heads...they're all out there.

Eventually, the 4.6L will enjoy a nice aftermarket...but it's still kinda expensive......

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
In my opinion, it's all a matter of personal preference.. as far as cost goes, the 5.0 parts are everywhere and a dime a dozen. It also depends on your vehicle preference and whether or not you feel like making major modifications to it.

-Jes

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Go with the 5.0, based on costs.

Building a fast 4.6 takes alot of coin. A 5.0's aftermarket support is enormous - and cheap.

My brother just priced out a (new) supercharger kit (everything he needs) for his Convertable Mustang (1990?), and it was $1300.

But just so you know - for a daily driver, I much prefer my 4.6L Marquis engine to the 5.0 Cougar. Quieter, no leaks, and more efficient.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Rob, we talked about this in the chat, and if Lonnie had submitted his time slips he would be the fastest with this pushrod. He ran a 13.8 and that was before he modified his engine even more.

EDIT:

Lonnie said:
I ran that 13.8 with all these mods with the exception of the intakes were just extrude honed and the heads were unported TFS Twisted Wedge.
He put ported heads on afterwards...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I dunno aboot that Robinson, look at all the Fox Mustangs with 5.Slow's in them at the track - they kick 4.6L *** :).

It'd be nice if the 4.6L Tbirds and Cougar came with the 32 valver. Then there'd be no 5.0 vs 4.6 debate, eh?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
MercCougarXR7 said:
I dunno aboot that Robinson, look at all the Fox Mustangs with 5.Slow's in them at the track - they kick 4.6L *** :).

It'd be nice if the 4.6L Tbirds and Cougar came with the 32 valver. Then there'd be no 5.0 vs 4.6 debate, eh?
look at the mustangs? why? we are talking about tbirds. i see rocket ships going to the moon, doesnt mean i like green frosting on my cake.

the fastest confirmed time slip we've seen is Mike Siskas AED bird, unless i slipped into some sort of time void. havent seen lonnies new times but i dont think the ported heads are gonna drop him a whole two seconds in the 1/4, not that i dont absolutely love his car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ok, so Mike has a blower strapped to his car, and Lonnie's runs N/A high 13's, probably low 13's with ported heads. If you put a blower on Lonnie's car, it would whoop on your 4.6's... It's such a shame there isn't a blower kit for the 5.0's or we would not be having this debate.

And, I like green icing on my cakes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
JJanney said:
Ok, so Mike has a blower strapped to his car, and Lonnie's runs N/A high 13's, probably low 13's with ported heads. If you put a blower on Lonnie's car, it would whoop on your 4.6's... It's such a shame there isn't a blower kit for the 5.0's or we would not be having this debate.

And, I like green icing on my cakes.
thats a horrible arguement, weve had this one over and over again. there are NA 4.6 birds running in the 13's too.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Exactly, so if anything, they'd be running neck and neck. I do not see why you are trying to assert that modulars are faster than pushrods. Everyone knows the truth... ;)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
JJanney said:
Exactly, so if anything, they'd be running neck and neck. I do not see why you are trying to assert that modulars are faster than pushrods. Everyone knows the truth... ;)
im only asserting the facts. the fastest mn12 is equipped with a modular motor, as far as anyone around here can tell. those are facts.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
IMHO, the 5-oh is cheaper to mod, and therefore is faster per dollar. However, if you spend the $$$, you can get either motor to be a monster, so "which motor is faster?" is fairly moot.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Robinson said:
im only asserting the facts. the fastest mn12 is equipped with a modular motor, as far as anyone around here can tell. those are facts.
Only so far as the slips are concerned.

all this talk of 5.0s being more affordable and making more power and the fastest tbird/cougar is still a 4.6....
It is rather affordable to mod the 5.0, and if the 5.0 had a blower kit like the 4.6s... Who knows, but I think they'd be faster.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Ok, I am a 5.0L guy.. Why? Cause thats just me.. I have been around them to long.

I agree that 4.6L is a good motor if the $$ is spent right. My only gripe is why did ford change the damn bellhousing bolt pattern.??? and its totally EFI..... and that its only a 4.6L (do too it being designed for a FWD car).

If i had a 4.6L car, i would ganked the 4.6L and drop a DOHC 5.4L or maybe a V10 ;-)

Or if i had a donor car, i maybe even put one in my oldie.. (hehe.. mod motor in a pre 90' car -:} )

But if you car came with a Mod motor, build it up., if you blown your tranny, and want to redo the motor.., and don't want to spend your life saving? go 5.0..

4.6L is here to stay, its only gonna get better.. (as in 99+ blocks)..

Now, lets just all get along, we shouldn't be discussing 4.6 -vs- 5.0 were all ford fans.. And lets just cream the non-american cars!

+note.
How many 5.0L are on this board? few maybe 50?
How many 4.6L are on this board? a ton, maybe 200+?

Now, of those, how many have the $$ to put into there cars?
There are more in the 4.6L side.. hence you will have faster 4.6L cars then 5.0L cars.

Its been 11-12yrs since ford made a 5L car...

also, here is a good article that was posted to the 4.6L forum:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0302MMFF_MixMatch/

i would have to admit, a STOCK 4.6L Mustang motor, that put out 260hp..is pretty impressive.. and will some work, you can gain some more ponies..

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
THe people who like the 5.0's are the people who HAVE them. Same with 4.6's. Personally, 4.6's are 10x better than any 5.0. Why do you think ford replaced the engine? =)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I could just as easily say why didn't Ford use them years ago too...

It's all a matter of taste, and since there are multitudes of 5.0s out there running in the single digits, whereas there are a decent amount of 4.6's doing the same, I would say 5.0s are better. They benefit more from the aftermarket. But, I still stand beside the fact that if a blower kit had been made, 4.6's would be a bit farther down the list on the forced induction chart.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
ford replaced the engine for the following reasons:

(a) less noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)
(b) better sealing
(c) lower internal friction
(d) increased fuel economy
(e) better emissions
(f) shared engine tooling between 4.6/5.4/6.8

Without starving performance (which they didn't fix for eight years after its introduction)..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.