TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok today i went and got my oil changed and I have been hearing some clunking noises while driving so i had them look at my suspension I have 4 broken shocks and the pass side upper ball joint is bad. I have been thinking about lowering it anyways so I need to know what all parts i need to lower it.

Springs obviously but what else? or is that it? please help me out!!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Broken springs or shocks, or both? Either way you only need lowering springs, probably want to replace the shocks even those are not broken. Check to see what shape the upper mount is in, might be best to get a new one and have the new springs and new shocks for the front mounted to a new upper mount. That is one thing I did NOT do and I am kicking myself for it.

I would replace both UCAs unless there is a very obvious issue that caused it to go bad before the other side might (like a torn boot or that side sat in a salt spray for a week).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry about the misstype it is only the springs that are bad not the shocks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just did a similar project so here's the list of what I did. New springs and shocks all the way around. Shorter sway bar endlinks. The rest is front only. New UCAs. New LCAs. New endlinks. New strut rod bushings at both ends of the rod. And new brakes since I had them off anyway. I passed on tie rods since they seemed alright. You can just replace your lower ball joints if you want but I couldn't get the lower shock bolt out of the LCA so I just swapped the whole thing. By the way, all four of my springs were broken as well. The driver's side rear was actually broken twice.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
If you're looking for some new springs, I have 4 off a 96 v8, I'll let them go for $50 + shipping, PM me if interested.

-Joel

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
While you're in there and have everything apart, you might as well replace the shocks too. Unless you've just replaced them recently.

What I'm planning on doing here shortly (shortly meaning within' the next 6 months):
Springs
KYB Shocks
Endlinks (front & rear)
Swaybar bushings

I'm still compiling the list of what will need to be done . . . it isn't going to be cheap though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fold_em83 said:
I just did a similar project so here's the list of what I did. New springs and shocks all the way around. Shorter sway bar endlinks. The rest is front only. New UCAs. New LCAs. New endlinks. New strut rod bushings at both ends of the rod. And new brakes since I had them off anyway. I passed on tie rods since they seemed alright. You can just replace your lower ball joints if you want but I couldn't get the lower shock bolt out of the LCA so I just swapped the whole thing. By the way, all four of my springs were broken as well. The driver's side rear was actually broken twice.

how much did that set you back???

·
Registered
118 Posts
It wasn't cheap. I think I had close to $700 into it. I got most of my parts from Napa because I work there and I was able to get a pretty hefty discount as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My shop said that if i supplied the parts they would do all the work for 350. Is that reasonable??

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes thats very reasonable considerign the amount of work involved

·
8,239 Posts
do it yourself man.

Doing shocks and springs on these birds is an afternoon job for anybody.

Hell even i have done it, and i'm not a mechanic by any stroke of the imagination.

The only thing you need to have done by a shop is have them compress the new spring over the new shock, you need a wall mounted compressor to do it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The whole project should have been completed in a weekend but I had to order the LCAs. That set me back about a week.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think that this is a task that i could do myself

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
shaggy433 said:
I dont think that this is a task that i could do myself
Its really not that hard. Just time consuming. But worth planning on having the car apart for a weekend for sure if your taking your time and learning along the way.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I went with eibach springs and KYB shocks and it gives it a perfect stance and rides nice. ONLY thing I might do is get some front shocks with stiffer dampening effect, if they make them for mn-12's. The front tends to be a little bouncy which I’m guessing is because the spring is stiffer then stock and the shocks can’t dampen it enough. Its only with the front though, the back rides perfect.

It’s not really that bad but noticeable.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
How do you break springs?

And many at a time.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
After seeing some peoples pictures of suspension, and having bought a couple things that have lived under cars on the east coast, I can say that it is likely that the springs rusted through in a place that the paint got nicked.

The springs I got had a note to not damage the coating and after seeing some pictures, I know why.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Rust. Got it!

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Bangster said:
After seeing some peoples pictures of suspension, and having bought a couple things that have lived under cars on the east coast, I can say that it is likely that the springs rusted through in a place that the paint got nicked.
Yep.

Those springs are 2 years old (CQ replacements for the factory ones that were cracked in 3 places on both driver's front and passenger front).

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Ack. I am spoiled here in Arizona. The iron center section/diff and the front knuckles/spindles on my car have surface rust that could be wire brushed with a brass brush and no longer be rusty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts