TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question here about 4 cam swaps. Would it be that much different to swap a Navigator engine into a Thunderbird? What abou the New Harley Truck motor (5.4l supercharged?) Of course cost could be prohibitive so just assume cost no object.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Someone on the forums has a 5.4 in their car. I'll see if I can dredge up a name. J Miller put a 5.4 in his Cougar. From what I hear, it's a tight fit in there.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
If money is no factor, then anything can be done for a price. You could take any engine and put it into a T-Bird, whether it be another Ford engine, GM, or even a rice rocket 4 banger. Now whether it would be feasible and worth the time and effort is another question. If the 5.4L Harley F150 engine would fit, then that would be an engine swap I would like to do.

Now correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I do think the 5.4 fits - only thing is that it was a tight squeeze. So if you need more room now for the Supercharger, it might be even tighter. I don't know enough about the engine to know for sure, but if you really wanted it in there, I'm sure you could find a way to get it in there.

-Andy "Melon"

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I think you would need like a 6" cowl hood for the supercharger to fit.. of Course you can always cut a hole in the top of your hood and be like "The Road Warrior" car.. lol

hey jjanney, you live in new smyrna beach? That's by Port Orange, right???

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the 5.4L DOHC is too wide to fit. You could drop it in, but you would ned a new front suspension.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
DOHC 4.6 from a 96-98 Cobra I believe is rated at 305 HP...DOHC 5.4 from a Navigator I believe is rated at 300 HP. Those are from memory and could be wrong. I am sure there are different gains to be had through exhaust, etc for each motor and that could give the edge to the Navi engine, but just go with the 4.6, easier swap and around the same power, maybe more! Now if you can find a Cobra R 5.4L DOHC that has been mysteriously separated from a Cobra R, now that is another story, to the tune of what was it...380...385HP?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
the 5.4 John put in his cougar was far from a simple swap. custom intake and a cowl hood are the short of the story. the general consensus is that a 5.4 is not nearly worth the time, effort, money or power. a 4.6 will outpower a 5.4 almost all day. torque on the other hand is a different story.

why look for a 380 hp cobra R motor when soon we'll be able to snag 2003 cobra 390 hp engines? hmm?

not quite misc... this is a modular topic.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It has? I have heard of no one doing a DOHC 5.4 in a Bird? I wanna see picutres, even though there is no way I would think about it...why 385 hp when we can soon have 390? That is a supercharged 390 vs an N/A 385...supercharge that 385...it is 385, I just ran across it looking for something else.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
why 385 hp when we can soon have 390? That is a supercharged 390 vs an N/A 385...supercharge that 385...it is 385, I just ran across it looking for something else.
true true. i wonder what the compression on the R engine is... wonder if it could handle lots of boost. moot point anyway since they are very limited production.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
5.4L abuse session again???

Though I like to get one, I do not have a cowl hood. I just gutted the inside of my hood. As far as a 4.6L taking me on all day long. Bring it on! It will have to be a heavily moded 4.6L with a better intake than I have.

True, the installation is difficult and it is not a strip car. It may not be the best bang for the buck but I like it. When done right it sure can take some abuse. I put 60,000 miles on it this year alone. I beat the heck out of it all the time and it keeps on going. The things I do with it would have killed car with a supercharger. My car is no wuss that has to take a break to cool off!

Ok, time to get off my soapbox.
;)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I may have to eat those words, I could have sworn that KDanner's most recent build was a N/A 5.4 32v.....custom intake and all. But after going back through some posts from another BBS, I can't find where he ever said it was a 5.4. I may have been mistaken. :confused:

Eric

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Re: 5.4L abuse session again???

J.Miller said:
Though I like to get one, I do not have a cowl hood. I just gutted the inside of my hood. As far as a 4.6L taking me on all day long. Bring it on! It will have to be a heavily moded 4.6L with a better intake than I have.

True, the installation is difficult and it is not a strip car. It may not be the best bang for the buck but I like it. When done right it sure can take some abuse. I put 60,000 miles on it this year alone. I beat the heck out of it all the time and it keeps on going. The things I do with it would have killed car with a supercharger. My car is no wuss that has to take a break to cool off!

Ok, time to get off my soapbox.
;)
definetly. i didnt mean that it was a bad setup, but i do remember hearing you say a couple months ago that dollar for dollar it wasnt the best choice. glad to hear you are still happy with it. how on earth do you put 60k on a car in one year?

btw, they mentioned you at J&M Corvette a couple weeks ago when we were down there.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
60k in a year...

Welp. I moved from CT to PA and had to drive back and forth many times. My car really does not hold that much stuff. But the job is done now.

I was at J&M Corvettes in January. That is where I did my last Dyno test. Mike helped me out last year when he and I ran the car on the Dyno for several hours adn several attempts to find out the spark settings under various loads besides WOT in my car. I also ran around with a 3-gas analyzer in my exhaust and took notes at the RPM and Load numbers when I heard a knock. What a PITA!

If it was not for Mike’s patience and the use of the Dyno, my car would not have went on the road until December. The man had some problems last year and I was left to deal with it myself. I can not say enough about those guys at J&M! They are good people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts