TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would the result be of say, a 280-350 cubic inch either inline or V 4 cyl. engine be? I mean just a big *** four cylinder, would it have a "throaty rumble"? or would it just be a really loud rice-ish sounding engine? What would horsepower/tourque numbers be like on something like this? Always wondered if this has ever been done/if it's possible

Earl

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
hmmmm

Just imagine a bulldozer engine in an MN12. Thats pretty much how it will sound. I am not sure how it will run though. Bet it would be heavy as poop though.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I believe that lotus used to make a 300 and some cu in. four cylinder. I imagine it would sound throaty because of the large combustion chamber.

danman

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
im gonna pretend i didnt hear that.... 8 cylinders people.... 8 is enough....

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The principle of the Ford V-10 is that more smaller cylinders is a better way to gain displacement than fewer larger cylinders. So in that light, a 302 V-8 SHOULD have better numbers than a 302 4 banger. That is assuming similar compression etc. As for sound, it isn't the size of the engine that gets you the sound, it is the arrangement of the stuff inside, it will still sound like crap.

·
Registered
391 Posts
actually...

The original purpose of the V-10 engines was emissions - and I'm sure it still is the reason for continuing the V-10 production.

Smaller cylinders produce less emissions because there is less area for the ignition flame to travel over, thus resulting in a more complete burn and better economy. At least that's what I read when they came out.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
that big of a 4 would idle like hell, shake all over the damn place.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, I just wondered...not that this is something I would want to see...just wondered if it's been done & what the result was, that V10 info was interesting.

Earl

·
ChatWhore
159 Posts
There is an acura integra drag car with a 4 cyl that is that big......it is like half of a Big Block Chevy motor or something. Dang car is built like a funny car.

Alan

·
Registered
724 Posts
You could always try a truck engine if thats your thing. 12.7L in-line 6. They have more torque than you could ever do anything with. Of course they probably weigh about as much as one of our cars.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
The principle of the Ford V-10 is that more smaller cylinders is a better way to gain displacement than fewer larger cylinders. So in that light, a 302 V-8 SHOULD have better numbers than a 302 4 banger. That is assuming similar compression etc. As for sound, it isn't the size of the engine that gets you the sound, it is the arrangement of the stuff inside, it will still sound like crap.
I was about to say this, because think about it... we have smaller chambers than a 4banger. Just more of them. It would sound like a 4 banger cause thats all it is. Inline 6s dont sound that great either. A flat 12 sounds nothin like a V12. food for though.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
what do you think about dropping a focus 2.0 dohc in and adding a couple turbos? not that i would do it, but could it work?? i assume i would be lighter.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
The principle of the Ford V-10 is that more smaller cylinders is a better way to gain displacement than fewer larger cylinders. So in that light, a 302 V-8 SHOULD have better numbers than a 302 4 banger. That is assuming similar compression etc.
Nope. If complete combustion is assumed then the 4 cyl. will have LOTS more torque than the V8.

The next thing to consider is reciprocating mass.

PJ

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Inline engines are the STRONGEST engine design. V engines were designed to lower the hood line and shorten the engine compartment in automobiles (A COMPROMISE to fit more Cubic Inches into less space). Over the road Semi tractors use Inline 6 engine for a reason LOTS of torque and VERY reliable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts