TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the limiter in my car is still at 5200, I have been letting the engine have some reign, and it hits the limiter really easily. But I can't overspeed it messing around.
'm going to keep a close watch on the PCV, looking for what happens at sustained higher rpms. I suspect it gets worse with more time at speed.

Here are some pictures of the A/O seperator, catch can reservoir after about 200 miles.

As you can see, it's not just oil must from PCV. The volume is about 1/3 what we were getting from the 2 valve engine. Its still more than I would expect.

The inline separators are starting to collect some liquid too.

I really should have put the drain back extensions in the block when I had it out. Kicking myself.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,930 Posts
Those mostly protect the crank from throwing oil back up them; they won't affect what rides up the chain.

This is one case the lucas oil treatment is Not a good thing.

·
The Parts Guy
7,862 Posts
That appears to be a lot of blowby for 200 miles. Good to know that the separator is working though.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
According to the Ford service manual, engines with 100k miles that have oil consumption of 1 quart every 3000 miles is considered "normal" .. doesn't seem too bad. We get just as much oil in the passenger side on the Shelby GT350 engine.. driver side stays bone dry. My friend wants me to install these oil balancing lines that go between the backside of the heads. Supposed to help with oiling issues .. I have my doubts.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
This is one case the lucas oil treatment is Not a good thing.
Ive never understood how oil sticking to everything is a good thing in an engine. Not just the chains, but itd be sticking to the crank and rods creating a shítload of windage, which is something to fight too.

Maybe in something like a diff, transfer case, or certain manual transmissions I can see it working. Or the few engines that have gear driver timing sets, but again youll have to fight the windage issues.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say there was about an ounce of liquid in the catch can. It is always a suprise to see that stuff in the can.
This engine has 60k original onit
It does not leak or seem to burn oil. It does not smoke at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts