TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our motor runs fine but, when u put a timing light to it, its no where near the mark!! Dad says its like 180degrees off. And when you turn the distributor that far it dies, or runs real rough and pops like nuts in the exhaust. We tried moving the plug wires one ahead, and then 2 head. Runs best when it just 180 degree off on the timing mark.

Dont really understand it. And anyone familiar with a mopar engine, when you turn the distributer towards the radiator is that advance or retard? Cause when we turn the distrib that way to m uch flames like to shoot out of the carbs. I hold the record for setting both carbs on fire :D But this timing thing is crazy, does it really matter where the distrib is as long as #1 is in line?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
if the ignition is 180* off you'd need to move all the wires 4 positions over, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
lol which way though. just weird cause it purrs like a kitten right now :confused:
Then leave it alone!

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you think it is 180 degree out...then you have to pull the cap...mark where the rotor is pointing, then pull the distributor out and turn till the rotor is pointing in the exact opposite direction and re-install. That will prove the 180 degree out theory....if it doesn't start, then that theory is wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also make sure when the number one piston is up, the timing line mates up with the correct mark. Make sure the #1 piston is up, the mark is right on, and the rotor is point to the number one wire on the cap! Can't be wrong with the basics!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we did that before we put it in. at TDC the rotor is at the #1 piston, and i doubt the timing mark on the crank can be put on wrong to mis align the marks right?

·
Registered
129 Posts
its not cut into the harmonic balancer? i would hope its not wrong? you may just have to leave it the way it is and keep an eye on the plugs and fuel mileage...to make sure its not eating plugs or giving really bad feul mileage. It may just be a mopar fluke!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'd bet that you brought #1 piston up on the decompresson stroke, instead of the compression stroke. I've done that before on a 454, and well, after the muffler ballooned from the explosion of raw gas, I figured it out, lol. Shooting flames out the top of the carb tells me it's out too far for you to be able to turn the dist. to adjust properly. Good luck, and watch the hair :zdevil:

Jay

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
lol which way though. just weird cause it purrs like a kitten right now :confused:

Good luck with that future speed shop.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TX na there is lines on it, and as for fuel mileage we got 5mpg on the highway :D

FordMan that could be, I just talked to him about that and possibly friday we wull check it all over again. we will see

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And also does anyone know which piston is #1 on a 1970 440? His book says the driver side front is #1. On my tbird it was passenger side front.. Why would they change it? I have yet to see visual proof. The book gives you a picture but it doesnt tell you if its front view or back view

·
Registered
268 Posts
Drivers side front is #1. Also check that the balance ring on the harmonic balancer hasn't spun. it isn't unusual for the outer ring to walk a little bit. I have seen it on small block chevys quite a bit.

ITHURTZ said:
And also does anyone know which piston is #1 on a 1970 440? His book says the driver side front is #1. On my tbird it was passenger side front.. Why would they change it? I have yet to see visual proof. The book gives you a picture but it doesnt tell you if its front view or back view

·
Registered
46 Posts
also be sure you unplug the vacuum advance from the dist. when you set the timing, and double check that the vacuum source is correct for your setup(ported or constant)
hope that helps

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
And also does anyone know which piston is #1 on a 1970 440? His book says the driver side front is #1.
The driver's side front piston is #1 on all V6s, V8s, V10s, V12s and V16's.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not enough room here to completely explain the entire set up of a distributer but I'll try to hit the important stuff.

Start with total timing. Timing when the centrifigal weights are bottomed out.
With the vacuum advance plugged and disconnected. Rev the motor until the timing stops advancing. Set it to 36deg. This is typically 2500-3500rpm.
Let the motor idle and observe the timing. Should be about 10-20 deg.
Plug the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum and it should raise the timing at idle and light throttle cruising about 15 deg.

You are not out 180 deg, the motor will not run that far out.

You will need an advance light to perform total timing.

www.moparts.com

lots of helpful Mopar guys on there but this will work for any early V8.

Direction for advancing is against the firing order, with it to retard.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Distributor direction. If It has vacuum advance. the rotation will go with the pod direction, or against the pull of the vacuum pod arm. Also a handy timing trick. If you want to know where the engine wants to be timed. Pull the coil wire, put a vacuum gauge to maifold. Have someone crank while you hold throattle wide open, and observe vacuum gauge reading. Still while cranking rotate distributor until highest vacuum is abtained and lock down dist. This should be where the engine loves the timing to be.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
You'd think someone who claims to have a 9 second car would know how to time it. :zbash:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts