TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my stepdad has this car. I helped him swap in an engine about 8 months ago. he said he recently had the timing belt (?) changed out. i don't know how long ago it was. but now it seems like the timing is off.

Its kind of hard to start, you have to press the gas. And it idles really rough but when you give it gas it runs fine (or seems like it). My dad said it might me stopped up cats, i thought it may be the MAF or a sensor, or vacuum leak. Well i went and cleaned the MAF and i don't hear any vac leaks.

Any ideas? It has coil packs, so is it possible to set timing? If so, how do i do it?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone got any input? i'm not sure what to do

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I doubt that it is the catalytic converter. If it was clogged it would idle okay but when you try to give it gas there would be too much pressure and would rev slowly.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I doubt that it is the catalytic converter. If it was clogged it would idle okay but when you try to give it gas there would be too much pressure and would rev slowly.
also when on the road if you were to take it past more that 1/4 throttle it would fall flat on its face.. and it wouldnt accelerate at all but the motor would rev up real slow..

·
Registered
100 Posts
OK, so my stepdad has this car. I helped him swap in an engine about 8 months ago. he said he recently had the timing belt (?) changed out. i don't know how long ago it was. but now it seems like the timing is off.

Its kind of hard to start, you have to press the gas. And it idles really rough but when you give it gas it runs fine (or seems like it). My dad said it might me stopped up cats, i thought it may be the MAF or a sensor, or vacuum leak. Well i went and cleaned the MAF and i don't hear any vac leaks.

Any ideas? It has coil packs, so is it possible to set timing? If so, how do i do it?
www.corral.net/forums

They have a pretty good 4 cylinder tech area...

Anyways, there are a lot of reasons for a running problem. A vacuum leak may not be all that obvious by sound alone, so a vacuum tester would be a good idea. I am assuming there is not check engine light, but if there is one, then of course figure out the codes...

IAC is problematic on most Fords, so this could be your issue. The timing could be off, although if it was, the car likely would have run poorly from the moment that the belt was replaced, unless the belt slipped. This could happen with a worn tensioner, or possibly even a bad water pump. You'd have to look at the belt to determine that, I believe.

Coil packs shouldn't have anything to do with the timing, but they could be bad themselves and cause a running issue. This should be checked, as well as the plugs and wires. Not too likely, given the symptoms, but it couldn't hurt. You would also want to check for a clogged fuel filter, as well as proper fuel pressure.

A compression test might be in order, because often low compression on one or more cylinders is more obvious at idle than at higher RPM.

That's where I'd start, anyway...

·
5,650 Posts
Not true. A junked MN12 I bought wouldn't even start with clogged cats, let alone idle.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not true. A junked MN12 I bought wouldn't even start with clogged cats, let alone idle.
Yes, in some cases they can be so clogged that the car won't start, but Chris said the Mustang does run.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
www.corral.net/forums

They have a pretty good 4 cylinder tech area...

Anyways, there are a lot of reasons for a running problem. A vacuum leak may not be all that obvious by sound alone, so a vacuum tester would be a good idea. I am assuming there is not check engine light, but if there is one, then of course figure out the codes...

IAC is problematic on most Fords, so this could be your issue. The timing could be off, although if it was, the car likely would have run poorly from the moment that the belt was replaced, unless the belt slipped. This could happen with a worn tensioner, or possibly even a bad water pump. You'd have to look at the belt to determine that, I believe.

Coil packs shouldn't have anything to do with the timing, but they could be bad themselves and cause a running issue. This should be checked, as well as the plugs and wires. Not too likely, given the symptoms, but it couldn't hurt. You would also want to check for a clogged fuel filter, as well as proper fuel pressure.

A compression test might be in order, because often low compression on one or more cylinders is more obvious at idle than at higher RPM.

That's where I'd start, anyway...
well, i'm not too keen on wanting to tear into it, and i don't have a compression tester, or vac tester. and where can i find the IAC on this?

so if the timing is off the only way to fix it is to go back to the belt and see if it slipped? i'd like to try the easiest stuff first. and i think there has been a CEL since before we swapped the engine. never had a prob with that before

BTW, my name's not chris ;)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, i'm not too keen on wanting to tear into it, and i don't have a compression tester, or vac tester. and where can i find the IAC on this?

so if the timing is off the only way to fix it is to go back to the belt and see if it slipped? i'd like to try the easiest stuff first. and i think there has been a CEL since before we swapped the engine. never had a prob with that before

BTW, my name's not chris ;)
I don't know where the IAC is located on that particular engine, I'd ask on the corral.

Honestly, without the proper testing equipment, it will be difficult to diagnose a problem. I would generally not assume that there is a timing issue, because it is not all that common. There could be one, but it isn't the first place that I would look. That being said, you said he had the belt changed recently, so who knows...

I think the only way you will know that the belt is slipped is to physically get to the timing belt and check it. I believe that the motor is distributorless...

You need to have the CEL scanned, because that could give you a huge clue as to why it is running poorly.

There are too many possibilities to go through, without narrowing it down some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts