TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen conflicting info about the dipstick tube o-ring for the 4r70w, some say that no o-rings in a general kit will fit, and that you require the actual ford piece. Is this correct?
If it is not correct, what size o-ring should fit?

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
RTV will work fine, just make sure there aren't any gaps.
I use Ultra black or copper on engine stuff.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I would trust just rtv, the tube would be floppy without the o-ring in there.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
Black rtv is the same material as viton, so it should be plenty strong, and deal with the fluid without problems.
cheap rubber buna-n o-rings will swell and soften, so buy a viton oring. Factory is edpm, iirc.

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,317 Posts
Every 4r70w I've rebuilt I've done using a transtar rebuild kit. They come with an O ring that is perfect for the dipstick tube. Transtar includes a bag of orings for the trans, The dispstick O ring is in there. They are all I use on the dipstick tube ever and I've never had a leak unless the tube itself was bent at the O ring land due to someone bending the tube trying to pull it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can’t answer if there’s a difference between OE and other O-rings. But if you’re like me and don’t want to do the job more than once, just buy the Ford O-ring (part number 87034 S94). It’s $1 and some change. Neatly smear on some PERMATEX Right Stuff 90 Minute Gasket Maker (Black No. 25228) for some added insurance and you’re done. That took care of my transmission leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
That rtv isn't rated for engine heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts