TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking apart the original 4R70W from my '95 Cougar to see how it goes together, and how worn/burnt the friction material is etc, but I can't get one shap ring off, and that is preventing me from getting half the internal parts out. Does anyone know how to get the snap ring in the picture below out of the transmission (what tool is required)?

And don't worry about the scratches... This transmission will never be put into a car again...

·
8,239 Posts
no.

You need a good set of snap ring pliars. See the holes for the snap ring pliars? Not the cheap kind, buy something that looks like its well made.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Are you sure?

When I did the mod on my tranny, I had a set of nice snap-ring pliers on hand, and I'm pretty sure that that ring does not have the holes.

I used a jack to SLIGHTLY lift up the piston, and a flat-head screwdriver to pop out the ring.

-Andrey

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one does not have holes... that's wgy I'm asking how to get it out...

·
8,239 Posts
you are right, i glanced at it quickly and thought it was the reverse servo. What part is it?

I will look at my tranny manual and tell you what to do with it.

JH

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts

See the red sections I highlighted? I believe you just stick flat bladed screwdrivers there, pry inward on the snap ring to get it started, then just draw it out all the way around with screw drivers.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Also, you might have to press that cover down to take enough pressure off the ring before you take it out. Get someone strong to push down on it, or use a large wood clamp to press it in. :thumbsup:

·
New Title Pending
56 Posts
if you are having problems getting that off, you may not want to take the trans apart :)

no seriously, I just did one of these last night. You CAREFULLY pry back on one end of the right with a flat screw driver and go around in a circle. Once you get half way around get the heck out of the way.

Brian

·
Registered
286 Posts
If anyone is planning on using the tranny, you don't want to round off the snapring slot by failing to relieve the piston pressure on the ring. A simple metal bridge bolted to the case, with a nut and bolt in the middle to push the piston into the bore works easily. In the car, everyone seems to prefer the bottle jack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts