TCCoA Forums banner

4R70W doesn't feel right...

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Darrin 
#1 ·
I think it might just be in the tune, but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any similair experiences:

1997 4R70W, updated 1-2, 2-3, mild J-mod, SCT tune, 59K miles.

It feels while cruising along in OD, about a second after you let off the gas, that the car is a 5 speed and you are engine braking. Is this normal at all? With my Apten chip, you could notice this quite a bit more when just coasting or slowing down, and I really liked it. This however seems to just come and go with the throttle.

Also, whlie cruising along at 60, I'll tap the gas and the rpm's will jump, like the TC is unlocked. I can do that once or twice, and then it doesn't indicating that the converter is now locked. Does that seem normal at all?

The tune initailly had a problem with it upshifting way early, and then immeditately downshifting. That has been worked out, but it still doesn't feel right at all.

Also, there are times when the car should downshift, but chooses not too. Sometimes it seems like it's just a bit late. However, last week I was driving along in 3rd around 40mph, and stepped into WOT and it didn't downshift at all. Just started chugging along in third gear.

The car is dead out of the hole and is getting somewhat poor gas mileage. Any idea of there is something wrong with the tranny, or if the tune just needs some more work??

Thomas

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I'll have to get with my tuner and see what he can do. Thanks guys!

Thomas

#6 ·
dirtyd0g said:
I agree it's the lockup schedule. They seem to lockup when you don't want them to and release when you do. I just worked on a 97 that released lockup over 1800rpms with the stock tune. Only place it worked good was ont he highway and that was just fair.
Alan
Yeah but if its the one I am thinking then that got fixed :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.