TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today I changed my transmission fluid as well as drained the torque converter...put everything back together added 5 qts castrol mercon v, started car, got to temp...turned off car, added 4 more qts, then started, tried to shift through the gears, as soon as it engaged reverse the engine stalled...started the car again, and shifted to drive, again it stalled...in every gear except P or N, if I give it gas quick enough it won't stall...it drives great...but while idling if I shift into a gear it stalls...any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,570 Posts
Well first of all, the transmission's fluid capacity is 12-13 quarts. Based on what you're saying you only added a total of 9 quarts of fluid and are anywhere from 3-4 quarts low.

At this point, check to be sure your fluid level is correct. Pull the dipstick and check to be sure there's fluid showing on it. If not, add 2 quarts, start the engine, cycle through the gears, stop the engine, and take a reading. If it still doesn't show up, add 1/2 quart and check again until your level is good.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have to go along with Brandon here. Last time I changed my fluid and drained the TC, it took 13 quarts to fill it; you started yours with only 5 quarts - can't be good for it!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I also used 13 quarts when refilling after I drained my tranny & TC this year. Don't overfill but it sounds like you're underfilled.

You're supposed to add fluid, then put the gear shift all the way through the gears while sitting there idling with your foot on the brake. Move from park to R, wait a few seconds, then go to N, wait a few seconds, then D, wait, etc. Then check the fluid level, if it's low add 1/4 quart at a time once you get past the 10 quart mark so you don't overfill. Go through the gears like that every time after you add fluid.

I'm sure the factory service manual refill instructions are kicking around here somewhere, that's what I followed and I had no problems at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In total I added 12 qts...sorry after the first stall I checked and wasn't showing on stick so I added until it showed. Is there a possability my tranny is shot or the tc? When I first got the car the prev owners had done nothing with it...so the fluid was like oil and alot of shavings and really burnt.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Sounds like it's in the converter. I would try driving it awhile with the new fluid first before I jumped to too many conclusions.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,570 Posts
It's also possible that the only thing holding the trans together was the fluid. When maintenance is neglected like that and the oil gets so burnt, the friction material from the clutches is suspended in the fluid. New fluid gets rid of all but just a small percent of the friction material, and the trans dies soon after.

It's also possible there is a problem with the IAC, since it is supposed to let in additional air to compensate for the added load of having the car in a drive gear.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
mine did pretty much exactly that randomly one day on my way home from college... had to neutral bomb her all the way home. found out the T/C had shelled out and wasn't unlocking... hope yours is just a low fluid situation. otherwise i ended up swapping in a low millage mk8 trans/flexplate and all is good XD

if you ran it up to temperature with 5 quarts in it though.... i wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all...looks like it sorted itself out...still have doubts about how much longer tranny will last, but for now it seems to be running ok.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thank you all...looks like it sorted itself out...still have doubts about how much longer tranny will last, but for now it seems to be running ok.
good..but from what you were telling me on group on facebook.About the time before this one, you had metal shavings on the magnet. Thats never good, your trans might be on its way out.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
There's always metal shavings on the magnet unless it's brand new; it just needs to be really fine, black/silver powder.

Not small-to-large chunks of random stuff. :)

I've seen both, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
There's always metal shavings on the magnet unless it's brand new; it just needs to be really fine, black/silver powder.

Not small-to-large chunks of random stuff. :)

I've seen both, lol.
Yup, just like Grog said - reminds me of fur, so if your magnet looks grey and 'furry' that is normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts