TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My new $100 beater is in the accident/collision repair mode right now so I can't test drive it.

The seller reported to me that the transmission "slipped" around 20-30 MPH. He said it did this regularly over the last year or so but has NOT gotten any worse.

When I drove it home from his house (10 miles) I experienced it two or three times and would call it a 'flare' on the 2-3 or 3-4 shift.

Are there any specific issues with the 4R70W that I should explore? I plan to leave this tranny in at least until spring and much longer if I can fix the flare problem.

Fluid looks good. I will change fluid with Mercon V soon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
May be bad servos. Go to the Ford Parts threds and ask Jason for all the j-mod parts. Also if you want to do this yourself there is an artical on changing the servos under tranny articals. Iv read it a couple of times and it looks pretty easy to do and if that donst work i would think your cluches are shot but if they are i would even try to replace them... youd be better of buying a 96/97 tranny. Save the servos too if it comes down to this. l8ter

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read the J mod articles several times and I seem to keep reading that you have to do about 25 different things all together including some sort of chip reprogram.

Mostly I think it is just information overload on my part so far. I will keep reading. I will ask Jason for a parts LIST for the Jmod and use that to help me understand.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I really don't know what it is without a lot more info.
By the way, to save someone a LOT of headache and hassle, you can't replace the OD servo with the transmission in the car. You can take it out, but good luck getting the pin back into the slot in the band.

Darrin

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Darrin said:
I really don't know what it is without a lot more info.
By the way, to save someone a LOT of headache and hassle, you can't replace the OD servo with the transmission in the car. You can take it out, but good luck getting the pin back into the slot in the band.

Darrin

I can :p been there done that just gotta know what to look for there is an access hole. You better know what you are working with to do it however.
Alan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
:p back at ya. LOL

I said he couldn't do it not that you or I couldn't do it. I won't do it unless there is no other option. If you mess up, out comes the transmission. I never do that unless something is messed up there anyway and think I might get lucky.

Darrin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts