TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I did a search but couldn't find a clear-cut answer. I'm junkyard hunting for a used transmission from a 99+ Ford, Lincoln or Mercury that uses the 4R70W. I was just curious, if I found a trans from a 6-cylinder Mustang, would that still swap in relatively easy into my 95 4.6 'Bird, or should I just be looking for 4R70W's that are bolted up to 4.6's? Thanks so much!
Robert

·
Registered
620 Posts
ur gonna need a 4r70w that has a 3 bolt starter on the pass side

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is the valve body in the 3.8 and the 4.6 the same?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It will work. Wiring issues are the biggest hurdle. If you are looking for a trans that'll just go in you won't find one. Anything decent will require changes.
Alan

·
Registered
12 Posts
i got a 99 mustang v6 valve body from a guy at the local junkyard for free. I was wondering if this a better unit than comes in my 97 tbird 4.6? If so how do i go about installing it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have searched and searched still cant find an answer? if someone can help it would be appreciated. I plan on changing my trans fluid today and want to swap them while I am under there if its worth it? thanks

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
i got a 99 mustang v6 valve body from a guy at the local junkyard for free. I was wondering if this a better unit than comes in my 97 tbird 4.6? If so how do i go about installing it?
Actually, there are some significant upgrades in that 99 VB over the one in a 97 bird and if you don't want it, or think it isn't worth installing then I will take it.

Darrin

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is why I got it. Just wanted to make sure it would work since it was from a
v6. Doing the jmod today and throwing it in. Darin, If you need some older valve bodys the junk yard i go to has around 10 thunderbirds I would pull them off for you and we could work something out. I could probaly get my hands on more than that. Mostly 94-95 some 96-98.

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
For a better built transmission that valvebody will be great. On a stock trans with a roller clutch it will just break faster. You won't see any gain, you'll just get broken parts.
Alan

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
That is why I got it. Just wanted to make sure it would work since it was from a
v6. Doing the jmod today and throwing it in. Darin, If you need some older valve bodys the junk yard i go to has around 10 thunderbirds I would pull them off for you and we could work something out. I could probaly get my hands on more than that. Mostly 94-95 some 96-98.

Thanks for the info

Those 94/95 arent good for anything at all, just scrap metal.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Just for the record, the improvements in the newer valve body doesn't have squat to do with the application of the intermediate clutch or 2nd gear except for to make sure that the direct clutch is released on that stupid 4-2 downshift. As a matter of fact, all the changes have to do with improving pretty much every other aspect than the 1-2 shift or application of the intermediate clutch in any way that would cause it to come apart.

However you look at it, that is a better valve body for these transmissions than the prior versions. Which is kind of why Jerry said to use those instead of the older ones.

Darrin

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
But I will agree that you do need to be careful on those older transmissions that have a roller clutch for the intermediate one way. You don't want to go overboard on the mods because you will break it.

That much is definitely true. The valve body itself won't cause it at all where over modding it will.

Darrin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would jmoding the valve body to <300hp, changing the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator hurt my stock tanny?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The important thing is to watch out for hole #6 unless you have a diode with a spiral retainer on it don't mess with that hole.
Alan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Would jmoding the valve body to <300hp, changing the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator hurt my stock tanny?
In all honesty, that completely depends on the transmission. I have seen some of those older ones live through crap that I never would have suspected and others die ugly deaths over things that I also never would have suspected. I have seen some 3.8 cars toast that roller one way clutch on cars where I know they were not really abused and seen some in 4.6 cars that I know were beat the hell out of that were ok.

Actually, the spiral lock for the one way clutch is mostly RPM handling ability and you just can't safely hit those RPM's on a stock 94 or 95 engine anyway. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. You will run into bigger trouble first. LOL

If you are doing a valve body modification yourself then I would follow Jerry's advice on what to do with the holes in the plates and you can find all that info here

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page13.shtml

and here

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page14.shtml

He was very kind enough to provide all of us with the best writeup that has ever been for these transmissions and the most accurate and complete info on what those that want to do these mods themselves should do.

Darrin

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
For a better built transmission that valvebody will be great. On a stock trans with a roller clutch it will just break faster. You won't see any gain, you'll just get broken parts.
Alan

Just wondering why you would say that with all of the other improvements that were made to that 99 valve body?

Darrin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info and the help! I plan on picking up the parts tommorrow. Where is the cheapest place to get the accumulators? Ford dealership? Thanks again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts