TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been answered already, but here goes. My 1997 Cougar (62000 miles) has a 4R70W which shifts normally except for 1-2 which is erratic. When shifting at part throttle it seems to go into and out of gear several times and then finally goes into second and stays there. AT WOT, the transmission shifts normal at every gear change, although a bit soft .

Installed the transgo SK-AODE shiftkit and planned to upgrade the accumulator at that time. But, the accumulator had already been upgraded, so I reinstalled the old accumulator after inspecting it for wear.

Sad to say ... the 1-2 shift is still erratic.

Before I attempt to fix it again, is it possible that the valve body is shot and replacing the accumulator won't help? Or, should I just replace the accumulator and expect that to do the job? I noticed that Sonnax has a repair kit that installs a sleeve in the accumulator cylinder. Is that worth the effort?

Thanks ... your neighbor, ron :confused:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
From what I've learned, mistake #1 was installing a trans-go kit. I think you might be hosed right there. Is there any way to remove the "kit" and return the VB back to stock to see if the issue goes away, or did you drill the sep. plate for that kit? I'm only familiar w/ the j-mod since it seems to be the only shift modifier that works w/ the 4R.

Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4r70w

Thanks for your help neighbor. Other web sites recommended both the Transgo and the Baumanator. Plus ... I have installed the Transgo in about 4 vehicles so far and never encountered a problem. This thing with the 1-2 accumulator may be the valve body itself and nothing to do with the Transgo. I found a factory sticker on the side of the transmission that said the TSB had been installed, so that verified what I thought earlier.

Also ... Sonnax tells me that the valve body is most likely worn so bad that replacing the accumulator piston won't be enough. They say .... either replace the valve body or install their repair kit.

Perhaps a low mileage used transmission is the way to go. I don't want or need a race quality unit. I just need dependable transportation and need to avoid putting the transmission guy':) s kids through college.

thanks again for your thoughts .... ron :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you probably broke your 1-2 accumulator piston spring. remove and replace. While the transgo isn't the best option, it shouldn't be the cause of the is problem.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
GreenBird said:
While the transgo isn't the best option, it shouldn't be the cause of the is problem.
Ah, obviously you haven't seen what I have seen as often as I have seen it. LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts