TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb Q but maybe someone has an aswer ...

If the tranny filter was left out by mistake and tranny was filled. Would it shift at all / shift properly?

(2001 GrandMarquis 4R70W Tranny going into 98 Towncar)

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
For a little while.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Al_Florida said:
For a little while.

You sure? Doesn't the filter act as a sort of pickup tube too?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
It does.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have never left it off so I don't know what it would do, but I would imagine it wouldn't do much of anything unless it was over filled. I could see problems with leaving in the old O-Ring (not really an O-Ring) or using the wrong filter (for the shallower pan) causing problems. I know that a co workers car was pretty bad off when the service place left the old seal in place and the filter sucked air around where the filter should seal.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
SloMo228 said:
It would work provided there was enough fluid in the pan to reach the pickup (for a little while anyway), plus any debris in the fluid would likely [email protected]#$! up the tranny too.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
just like u would ruin an engine running it without an air filter.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
man I almost did that... I was bolting the pan up and i got up to get my torque wrench and saw the thing sitting there in the cloth and was like aww crap... had to unbolt it all and do it over again LOL..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you leave the filter out of 4r70W (as I did) - here is what it does - 1-2 shift is not smooth- delayed and rest of the shifts were fine. New filter is in place now and works like a charm.

Thought I post this for anyone else who would do the stupid mistake I did!

·
Registered
342 Posts
tutuluke said:
If you leave the filter out of 4r70W (as I did) - here is what it does - 1-2 shift is not smooth- delayed and rest of the shifts were fine. New filter is in place now and works like a charm.

Thought I post this for anyone else who would do the stupid mistake I did!

Would that make it not shift from 2nd to 3rd at a high rpm?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Its very difficult to put a filter in when the seal from the old filter is still there. It just doesn't fit right, prompting a cautious person to look and see why it isn't fitting right. Upon observation, you'd see the problem, remove the old seal, and install the new filter easily.

I know this because I tried to install one filter with two seals. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No - 2-3 shift was almost normal ... 1-2 was the worst - 3-4 was almost normal as well ... its not that the RPM soared and then it shifted.

·
Registered
342 Posts
when i am accelerating hard i have to let my for off of the gas to make it shift from 2nd to 3rd. that is why i was asking. it has been like that ever since the tranny was rebuilt. i am just curious though cause i am getting ready to do a t45 swap. so it really doesn't matter lol

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
dude... I would have taken it back to the shop and raised hell... spend that much money on a rebuild and that kiinda crap is goin on. When i got my C4 rebuilt I took it home and came out 2 hours later to go somewhere and there was tranny fluid on teh ground... WTF... yeah it went right back to the shop. Keep my car for 3 weeks and then when I get it back tranny fluid is on the ground. Thats rediculous.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well no lol this is funny. i took it in and had it rebuild. cost me like 800.00. it did fine for a month and a half then crapped out on me. i took it back and they had it for 6 months before they got it fixed so it would even shift. i was soo pissed. i went back to get it fixed again and the dang shop was closed.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yeah there is a reason they were closed... shawdy work perhaps... I would say go with Darrin's tranny right now... you'll never have to worry about it again. that would be a tranny you take out and move to your new car cuz it won't ever die :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
FunktasticLucky said:
yeah there is a reason they were closed... shawdy work perhaps... I would say go with Darrin's tranny right now... you'll never have to worry about it again. that would be a tranny you take out and move to your new car cuz it won't ever die :)
Lmao. I am doing a t45 swap. i love a 5 speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts