TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this 93 Mark that I am going to go and take a look at. Owner is stating that it slips in 3rd. I know that there were some issues with some electrical components in the early 4R70W's could one of those cause such a problem?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but I've experienced the death throes of the 4R70W, and slipping in third is one of the symptoms. That was the first year of the 4R70W; I believe it's the same transmission as the 94-95 4R's, which means that it's a piece of junk. If you can get a good deal on the Mark, I'd say go for it, then when the tranny dies, just replace it with a '99 and up 4R from a Mustang, Crown Vic (non-police), Grand Marquis, Marauder, Town Car, etc. The newer trannies are far more reliable and there's only a few simple modifications you need to do in order for it to work on the '93.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SloMo228 said:
I'm far from an expert, but I've experienced the death throes of the 4R70W, and slipping in third is one of the symptoms. That was the first year of the 4R70W; I believe it's the same transmission as the 94-95 4R's, which means that it's a piece of junk. If you can get a good deal on the Mark, I'd say go for it, then when the tranny dies, just replace it with a '99 and up 4R from a Mustang, Crown Vic (non-police), Grand Marquis, Marauder, Town Car, etc. The newer trannies are far more reliable and there's only a few simple modifications you need to do in order for it to work on the '93.

It's an OK deal. I have not seen the car in person, only pics. It's looks like it has been in a little side swipe, needs a door and the bottom front of the rear qtr panel, but he wants $650 obo, so who knows.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'd offer him $500. If he takes it, a new(ish) tranny shouldn't cost you more than a grand, including a converter, new solenoids, J-Mod parts, a good tranny cooler, and 12 or so quarts of Mercon V. A door shouldn't be too hard to find in a junkyard or on here, and then you've got a nice, reliable, stylish ride. Assuming, of course, that you can find a door of the same color. If not, you could always have it painted. (And the bill keeps getting bigger and bigger! :eek: )

·
Registered
110 Posts
And, its a mark 8.

hows the interior?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, 93 and up would be a Mark 8. I never got the time to look at the car, it sold yesterday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts