TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I bought a new sc and its arriving from nc tomorrow, the aod is basically shot, now I have a built dirty dog 4r70w on my supercharged crown victoria with a 9.5 tc 36000 stall which is working awesome, I think im going to part the crown vic :(, so instead of selling the trans I was thinking of stuffing it in the bird.

Is 3600 stall too much on a daily driven supercoupe will my mpgs suck? And what would I need to complete this swap? Thanks guys.

·
5,650 Posts
First, 3600 stall is too high for an SC. Second, to get it working in the SC, you'd need to obtain the PCM and all associated wiring from a 94-95 SC auto. You have to deal with the fact that the trans electronics go through the dash harness and figure out a way to make it work with the existing dash unless you plan on swapping. Then there are the other issues to deal with, namely the different MAF, injectors, crank sensor, and CCRM/IRCM the 94-95 PCM needs. It isn't a plug and play deal, but it's doable, and having a donor car available will take the nightmare out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
3600 stall is too much unless you are making really big power on a sc, the 4r70w in your crown vic will not bolt to the 3.8 anyway.
Alan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucks to hear that, what are my options? C4 and aod?

C4 mpg will suck I think and aod I need to dump money on to make it strong.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Easiest is going to be the AOD. I wouldn't go C4 for several reasons.

But, you can put a 4R70W in it using an aftermarket controller. I work with a lot of guys that have done that with good results. The most common one is used because it's the cheapest and I haven't been a fan at all. That one would be the Baumann stuff. As I said, I haven't ben a fan, but I just had a customer use that new Optishift(?) or whatever it's called in his 93 Mjustang that has a 351 in it and he seems to love it.

Powertrain Control Solutions sells a good product, but you are going to pay for that quality.

Kinda the same as usual when it comes to putting in what you want instead of what is the easiest or cheapest. There are available options and they mostly depend on determination and wallet depth. And also as usual with this stuffl, the hardest part is finding the right people to advise you who know the right products to use to get the results you want.

Darrin

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, Ive been reading some more and it looks like ill just have my aod rebuilt locally, ill tell them to install an A+ servo, anything else while they are in there?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
aode sun shell, 4r70w drums, 4r70w frictions, 4r70w intermediate pressure plate, 4r70w mechanical diode drum. Silverfox valvebody with electronic OD delete, and a brass tv cable grommet. Use the sonnax servo and install the wave springs. The band use a 2 inch high carbon.
Alan

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Alan!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more question guys, what stall should i go with?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
For a SC, I suggest two different options. I can raise the stall on the stock unit, eliminate the direct drive and do a bunch of durability upgrades. On a relatively stock SC motor this is a great upgrade and makes a nice smooth fun to drive experience. For a more aggressive converter or to help protect from ballooning that plagues the aod converters I have a billet cover 9.5 option. I usually suggest it around 2800.
Alan

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
i would like to know more about your suggestions

aode sun shell, 4r70w drums, 4r70w frictions, 4r70w intermediate pressure plate, 4r70w mechanical diode drum. Silverfox valvebody with electronic OD delete, and a brass tv cable grommet. Use the sonnax servo and install the wave springs. The band use a 2 inch high carbon.
Alan
if you don t mind can you be a little bit more specific on the modifications you suggested

i would like to have some 4r70w goodys in my aod but i m very new to automatic trannys (allways had 5 speeds) to learn more about it i would apprechiat some more details

thank you very much

sincerely frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts