TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time this has ever happened. 1994 SC under WOT in Drive this morning, missed second gear. I let off the throttle and as the rpm's came down, second caught and I thought I heard some rattling, but the car has driven fine since. Approximately 90,000 miles, tranny cooler, mercon V, no shudder. I know my 1st-2nd accumulator spring needs replacing since I've got a late-hard 1st-2nd shift, but it's never MISSED the shift before. Any ideas as to the cause/solution?

·
Registered
875 Posts
My guess....you've spun the roller clutch. No mechanical diode in your transmission...yet. I had the same problem a while back in my 94. It'll get steadily worse until it just won't hold second gear under any kind of throttle. I never let it get that far, but you'll need to either rebuild and update or replace your tranny with a newer one.

Mike

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Also, the 1-2 accumulator may have stuck in the bore. You need to get in there and replace the accumulator pistons and springs, soon!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darrin said:
You need to get in there and replace the accumulator pistons and springs, soon!
I'm just procrastinating - I took the mercon bath once already. I didn't know anything about this web site and the information regarding the 1-2 accumulator spring when I changed the transmission fluid the first time or I would have done it then. The magnet looked like a doughnut with all the filings that were stuck on it. I'm assuming a lot of it must have been from the 1-2 accumulator piston rubbing on the bore. Seems like everything is breaking at once on this dang SC.

No problem this afternoon on the 1-2 WOT shifts though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's the way mine started too. It did it once, and then didn't do it again for a long time. And it only does it under very heavy load. It got to where it would do it maybe 2 times in ten, then it did it once at WOT in the middle of a race, and it spun the roller clutch pretty bad. It drove fine all the way home, under light throttle, and then I pulled the tranny that week.

Mike

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Black94SC said:
The magnet looked like a doughnut with all the filings that were stuck on it. I'm assuming a lot of it must have been from the 1-2 accumulator piston rubbing on the bore. Seems like everything is breaking at once on this dang SC.
The stuff on the magnet isn't from that. The case is aluminum and the piston is aluminum so the magnet wouldn't catch it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darrin said:
The stuff on the magnet isn't from that. The case is aluminum and the piston is aluminum so the magnet wouldn't catch it.
You're right. I didn't think of that. I guess my transmission is just grindng itself to pieces - bit by bit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like mine too. I'm thinking I'm going to be looking into late model wrecked-Mustang trannies.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Another roller one-way clutch on the way out...
JL

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
OK, weird problem.

I took the Tbird for a drive just now, and I pulled out nice and slow, let the 1-2 happen at a slow pace.

No Second Gear. It drove like it was in neutral.

I shifted to second, and it went into gear, but when I went back to drive, no second.

So then I nailed it and let it bounce off the revlimiter, and it shifted into second. :D

Transmission drove normally the rest of my drive, and I beat on it trying to replicate the problem; no dice, it worked fine.

I realize that no second is usually a bad roller clutch, but this is an 02 jmodded tranny, with new accumulators, springs, and a mech diode construction.

This is the car that randomly neutrals and shifts to second on the interstate when wet, so the car has issues I haven't found, but this is a new one.

I really cans see how it did this.

Comments?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Check the OSS if it has one. Or the connector/connection. Small sensor just in front off the tail shaft housing on left side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts