TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Range Rover Vogue 351w/4R70W conversion, '69 XR7 S-code, '16 Mustang GT, '99 V8-S Falcon ute
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'll try again,
I have a '98-'00 type 4R70w built by hughes. Everything works fine except it stopped engine braking in 1st and 2nd gears. Doesn't matter if in manual mode or auto it will not engine brake. Rather annoying since it's a 4WD application.
I've removed the VB but not disassembled as yet. Was going to get a Sonnax Zip kit but is it purely VB related? Could be 1-2 accumulator related? They sent me a lighter spring years ago to try to reduce shift firmness(they made it shift too hard when I asked them not to) which I fitted and it barely made any difference. It had already stopped 1-2 engine braking before the spring change.
Pete.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Yes, there was.

These new guys aren't great on reading.
:)

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,477 Posts
Yes, there was.

Or willing to accept an answer they didn’t want to hear.

So here it is again, if it’s not engine braking in the manual gears the overdrive and reverse bands aren’t applying or are slipping. Further diagnosis is needed to find out why.

It is not the accumulators.

·
Registered
'93 Range Rover Vogue 351w/4R70W conversion, '69 XR7 S-code, '16 Mustang GT, '99 V8-S Falcon ute
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you guy's are great at jumping to conclusions!? Actually this site keeps banning me for some reason. So the thread disappeared. Which,if you'd been reading? is why i said, "Ok I'll try again"

Btw it appears that Hughes used a Transgo shift kit in it. Don't know if that gives any clues? OD and Reverse are not slipping.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
Start here:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Grog.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
Yes, there was.

I was asking as an honest question. I can't find the thread, but I swear it was just here a few days ago.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
It got closed; this is a 4wd tranny in a truck...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I've pulled the VB apart. Now will go through everything to determine which Transgo kit it is and check if all where it's meant to be. Will post photos as soon as I can.

This is a 5.0L Explorer/F150 4x4 type 4R70w.

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
That looks like some of the parts were changed; that looks like the Sonnax main valve.

At least it has all 3 round plates. :)

I would see if I could find an unmodified transmission, and have it rebuilt.

Barring that, look for the guy that rebuilds the AOD transmissions and/or the police cars; they tend to be into the transgo stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Grog,
There are two problems with that, One, I'm in Australia where this trans was never used and Two, this one is otherwise very good so I'm not going to waste that much money.
If was to buy the basic Sonnax zip kit and then do the Jmod would that be a good idea?

·
Super Moderator
11,007 Posts
You'll need a new valvebody to get rid of the pressure relief valve.

I really can't give you any advice; mixing techniques is bound to be both expensive and disappointing.

Have you tried talking to these guys:

That link is the best rebuild guide I've seen; no, he didn't go transgo either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll need a new valvebody to get rid of the pressure relief valve.

I really can't give you any advice; mixing techniques is bound to be both expensive and disappointing.

Have you tried talking to these guys:

That link is the best rebuild guide I've seen; no, he didn't go transgo either.
Thanks Grog, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually that post is already very useful...the VB section hass already shown that i have a stock pressure relief and bypass clutch valve.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How is that reason to close the thread?
i think the reason has something to do with the spam filter of the site. it incorrectly thought i was spamming.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts