1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
what year 4r70w? don't know much cause i have an aod but i do know that the 96-up have a bigger oil pan than aode, look out for that at least. (I could be wrong though)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well that particluar one in the pic is for a 5.0 - which have a different bellhousing pattern than the 4.6L. I have a few pics of a 4r70w in my tech article in the WIP forum- one way to tell the wide ratio form the AODE is that the rear seal will be orange/red on the AOD/AODE while 4R70W ones are yellow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silver95Bird said:
Well that particluar one in the pic is for a 5.0 - which have a different bellhousing pattern than the 4.6L. I have a few pics of a 4r70w in my tech article in the WIP forum- one way to tell the wide ratio form the AODE is that the rear seal will be orange/red on the AOD/AODE while 4R70W ones are yellow.
Very helpful. The place I'm getting it from say they have one out of a '96 and a '97, but they kept calling it an AOD. I gather that happens fairly often (I've encountered a Ford shop calling them AOD's), but I just want to make sure it really isn't an AOD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never mind. A search turned it up.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Silver95Bird said:

Strange... when I had my transmission rebuilt... the rear seal is red. Will that cause problems?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I believe he was merely saying he was in same position as you (install a tranny with wrong color seal?) I don't think he was meaning it as an insult, however I could be wrong and he could have been insulting your intelligence, but if so, so what? Know what I mean?

Sam

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was saying i was in the same position as you. I had my tranny rebuilt as well and remember seeing a red seal when i was under there working on my exhaust. No insult intended! :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird,

I'm not sure what the different color would indicate.. but the AOD/AODE seals are usually red and the 4R70W seals yellow so the mechanics can tell them apart - the metal parts of the seal are different diameters. There are also 2 different 4R70W seals: one I think is for trucks, as it has a much longer rubber boot on it. I'm talking Ford OEM seals too, aftermarket from a tranny shop may be different.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Chances are they just bought from their supplier. You can't use the wrong one in a given application, it just wont fit. When I go home this weekend, I'll take some pics to show you, and get them posted up here.

Tom

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Well.. this one kinda protrudes a bit from the tailshaft housing. I never really looked at the stock bushing so I'm not sure if there's a difference. I told them I was looking for a more heavy duty build up, which the mechanic understood just from looking at the parts. Is it possible that they might have used the F150 bushing?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The AOD parts are smaller and wouldn't fit, I dont think they could have put the wrong bushings in... all 4r70w bushings should be the same. the seals are VERY tight, so it doesnt surprise me they might not have gotten it to sit perfectly flat - how much space is there between the metal lip of the seal and the housing? The rubber part is the only thing different, the metal that holds it in the housing is the same, and won't pose a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I picked up a $225 (w/ 101 day warranty) trans out of a '97 T-Bird (that is what I was told it came out of) w/ about 76k mi. It had the yellow rear-seal as you (Silver95Bird) pointed out. Thanks for the tip.

I had ordered the 1-2 accumulator and springs, and then went to put them in before I dropped it at the shop that is going to do the swap, and oddly enough, it already had the new 1-2 accumulator in it. Weird I thought.....any chance any of the '97's had the new one stock? ....or maybe it had been serviced before and had it put in.....

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yes, my 97 trans, in stock form, did have the updated rubber accumulator pistons, and I believe that it was actually late 96 when Ford changed over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ack. Wish I would've known that. I had read somewhere (here I thought) that they didn't update that until 98. Blah. I may not be able to return the parts. Oh well......I guess I'll live......

At least I'll be able to drive the thing and get decent gas mileage again.

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts