TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission is a 1998 4R70W transmission which has been recently been up graded with extra clutches. The valvebody is Jmoded with upgrade valves by Dirtydog. The sensors are all the proper sensors for a 1998 4R70W. Usually during normal street driving the transmission shifts with no issues. The transmission has randomly stayed in 2nd gear 3 times during normal driving and has happened 5 times on the 1/8 mile dragstrip. There are NO transmission codes and the OD light does not flash. I have a fully set of spare external/internal 1998 4R70W transmission sensors. My plan is to start by swapping out the; OSS, VSS and the MLPS. Any other insight would be helpful.

The Transmission is also in a 1998 Mustang.......

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Could be a sticking shift solenoid. May want to consider buying a shift solenoid pack.

2nd is the 'limp mode' of the tranny if the EEC senses something wrong, but you said you never get a light and there is no codes which suggests that isn't the case here.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
First thought is drawn to the MLPS. Easy way to tell would be to have a look at COMMANDED_GEAR in your datalogs.

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swapped out the OSS, VSS and the MLPS on Thursday night. We went to the Dragstrip last night and the car had no issues with shifting when making runs down the dragstrip. I'm pretty sure it was a MLPS issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts