TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX (219k)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A full fluid and filter change should eliminate the shudder, it always has for me. This is not just dropping the pan, which only gets a few qts.

Run the cooler return line into a bucket and run the car until it starts to sputter. Then drain the converter and drop the pan (which will be almost empty) to change the filter. That should be 11 or so qts. Always use a Ford gasket, which is re-usable, but I like to start with a new one.

Al
Okay that doesnt sound too complicated. I have a gravel driveway so jacking it up might be tough. Ill definetly replace it in the near future. How long you think is safe to drive it? I need 500 more miles out of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
Drive it gently and add a cooler when you change the fluid.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I wouldn't drive it if it's shuddering. And you will need the car on 4 jack stands if you want to DIY the fluid properly.

Al

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wouldn't drive it if it's shuddering. And you will need the car on 4 jack stands if you want to DIY the fluid properly.

Al
A shop is gonna charge me 120 to drain all of the fluid. Seems worth it to me since i dont have a place to do it myself. What should i look for so i know whether id have to out my old fluid back in? I dont want it slipping.

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
The fluid is about $75, so that's not too bad.
But you've got some jackass doing a job that you could probably do with more reliability.
If you like 'spirited driving, start looking for an 02 Transmission.

You also need to see the inside of the pan, before you add $75 worth of fluid to a wasted trans.

If you keep this car, and drive it like it was built for, you will be replacing it.
An 02 trans, rebuilt with the new one piece seals, will last a Long time.
The two I built like that have lasted for 4-5 years;all the previous ones died within a year

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The fluid is about $75, so that's not too bad.
But you've got some jackass doing a job that you could probably do with more reliability.
If you like 'spirited driving, start looking for an 02 Transmission.

You also need to see the inside of the pan, before you add $75 worth of fluid to a wasted trans.

If you keep this car, and drive it like it was built for, you will be replacing it.
An 02 trans, rebuilt with the new one piece seals, will last a Long time.
The two I built like that have lasted for 4-5 years;all the previous ones died within a year
Yea i will be there when it gets replaced. This is a trusted shop but i will check their work. A new trans sounds like a lot of work... but i wanna keep this car so maybe worth it. After driving it today i found out it does not have the issue if i turn off overdrive, so for some reason turning on overdrive causes 3rd and 4th to shutter. But with it off it doesnt do it at all. I am even more confused now.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That's because the shudder happens after the shift into OD. There is no way to know how much fluid the mechanic replaces. He could just drop the pan, and the fluid would look better. But 4 qts is likely not enough to stop the shudder. If he hasn't done it yet, tell him to be sure to drain the converter. There is 3-4 qts in there.

Al

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
If you have a good transmission guy, look for an 02 transmission to have built.new seals, and befter parts make a difference, but using the teflon seals will make it last forever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you have a good transmission guy, look for an 02 transmission to have built.new seals, and befter parts make a difference, but using the teflon seals will make it last forever.
I did a oil change today and found the rear main leaks a bit. Nothing terrible but since i might need it, a new trans might not be too bad of an idea. Could i do something similar to a jmod on an 02 trans? I also dont want to spend a whole bunch of money if i dont have to. Cost savings where i can would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
Yes, a super tuff plate is already drilled to a larger size. they are not apparently available for earlier ones.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The tuff plates aren't needed prior to the 2001 year as you just drill those plates, those have the factoy reinforcement under the 2-3 accumulator. Beginning in 2001 Ford stopped with the reinforcement. Hence the thicker "super tuff plate" with included "super snubber" button. Sonnax (#76507F-01K) also replaces just the missing reinforcement. I used it in my '01 's transmission. I have one to put in my '07's when I next service it and j-mod it. I have the "tuff plate" too, but I may not use the "super snubber" since I'll use the Sonnax part.

Superior says that one can use the "super tuff plate" with any 2000 or newer transmission that doesn't have the factory reinforcement.

My'95 had factory reinforcement, my '01 did not but has the Sonnax kit and drilled stock plate, I haven't done my '07 but have both the reinforcement and STP to choose from, or I'll use both (just not the SS if so).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The tuff plates aren't needed prior to the 2001 year as you just drill those plates, those have the factoy reinforcement under the 2-3 accumulator. Beginning in 2001 Ford stopped with the reinforcement. Hence the thicker "super tuff plate" with included "super snubber" button. Sonnax (#76507F-01K) also replaces just the missing reinforcement. I used it in my '01 's transmission. I have one to put in my '07's when I next service it and j-mod it. I have the "tuff plate" too, but I may not use the "super snubber" since I'll use the Sonnax part.

Superior says that one can use the "super tuff plate" with any 2000 or newer transmission that doesn't have the factory reinforcement.

My'95 had factory reinforcement, my '01 did not but has the Sonnax kit and drilled stock plate, I haven't done my '07 but have both the reinforcement and STP to choose from, or I'll use both (just not the SS if so).

View attachment 44919
Interesting, okay. Ill do some more research. Im driving the car a lot less now so i think itll be fine for a couple weeks.

·
Super Moderator
11,923 Posts
I've used those for years; the holes are drilled to jmod specs.
I use one of the Superior kits with it, that has a bunch of sonnax parts.
I put on Kolene steels, and Raybestos' Blue plate special" friction plates, and the tbird loves it. :)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,696 Posts
Buy some Shutter Fix ikt worked for my trans.Just add this drive some miles it takes care of the shutter.
Or ensure the correct fluid is in it first.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts