TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have a 4R70 that I installed a Transgo AODE3 full manual valve body shift kit in. I have a good 1 to 2 shift but no third gear but do have overdrive. I know the direct clutch is required for both OD and 3rd gear. I ran a gauge on the line pressure and on the direct test port. In 3rd gear I have no pressure to the direct drum, in OD the line pressure and direct drum pressure are equal. I'm mainly trying to figure out how I am pressuring up the direct drum with both shift solenoids activated for OD and then back trace why I can't get pressure to the direct drum in manual 3rd. The kit only uses the solenoids to shift to OD otherwise they are not activated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys,
I have a 4R70 that I installed a Transgo AODE3 full manual valve body shift kit in. I have a good 1 to 2 shift but no third gear but do have overdrive. I know the direct clutch is required for both OD and 3rd gear. I ran a gauge on the line pressure and on the direct test port. In 3rd gear I have no pressure to the direct drum, in OD the line pressure and direct drum pressure are equal. I'm mainly trying to figure out how I am pressuring up the direct drum with both shift solenoids activated for OD and then back trace why I can't get pressure to the direct drum in manual 3rd. The kit only uses the solenoids to shift to OD otherwise they are not activated.
Ok think I might have figured it out. On the 2001 and up valve bodies the od circuit was changed and pressures up the 3rd gear circuit which would explain why I have OD with no 3rd gear. So I am assuming that if I had a valve body pre 2001 I would not have had either OD or 3rd gear.
I am pretty sure I found out also why I don't have 3rd gear. On the AODE 3 kit from trans go there is a small tapered plug that gets installed in the bottom plate on the valve bodies. The plug covers the hole right below the 2-3 shift valve. I followed the circuit back to the manual shift valve. The kit also has you drill out a couple of holes between 2 partitions in the valve body to get the pressure to the 2-3 shift valve. With the plug missing the pressure would have just blown out the hole where the plug should have been and would never engage the direct clutch drum. I couldn't find the plug might have gone out my drain plug and gone with my tranny fluid. When I first put my tranny together the first time my front pump bushing moved forward on me in the pump case and had the tranny puking fluid out of front seal as the bushing plugged off the drain hole in front of the bushing. I suspect this caused a high pressure and blow out the plug that was in the lower plate for the 3rd gear circuit I mentioned above.
I went ahead and taped out the hole where the plug went to a 5/16" x 24 and put a bolt in the hole with some red loctite. Now to get the VB back together and see if I now have 3rd gear.
I can say this I was not impressed with the tech support I received from Transgo. The guy tried but couldn't or wouldn't tell me how the kit obtained 3rd gear so I had to figure it out myself. I will give an update on if this gets me 3rd gear or not when I get it all back together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok think I might have figured it out. On the 2001 and up valve bodies the od circuit was changed and pressures up the 3rd gear circuit which would explain why I have OD with no 3rd gear. So I am assuming that if I had a valve body pre 2001 I would not have had either OD or 3rd gear.
I am pretty sure I found out also why I don't have 3rd gear. On the AODE 3 kit from trans go there is a small tapered plug that gets installed in the bottom plate on the valve bodies. The plug covers the hole right below the 2-3 shift valve. I followed the circuit back to the manual shift valve. The kit also has you drill out a couple of holes between 2 partitions in the valve body to get the pressure to the 2-3 shift valve. With the plug missing the pressure would have just blown out the hole where the plug should have been and would never engage the direct clutch drum. I couldn't find the plug might have gone out my drain plug and gone with my tranny fluid. When I first put my tranny together the first time my front pump bushing moved forward on me in the pump case and had the tranny puking fluid out of front seal as the bushing plugged off the drain hole in front of the bushing. I suspect this caused a high pressure and blow out the plug that was in the lower plate for the 3rd gear circuit I mentioned above.
I went ahead and taped out the hole where the plug went to a 5/16" x 24 and put a bolt in the hole with some red loctite. Now to get the VB back together and see if I now have 3rd gear.
I can say this I was not impressed with the tech support I received from Transgo. The guy tried but couldn't or wouldn't tell me how the kit obtained 3rd gear so I had to figure it out myself. I will give an update on if this gets me 3rd gear or not when I get it all back together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops sorry for the double reply thought the first one didn't go through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts