TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L Torque Converter

Original posting got deleted for “spam”

So I have a 1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L that I’m ready to go all out in building it to where I’ll eventually swap in a 5.0 Coyote engine. Car is currently bone stock.

I’m J-Modding the transmission(75k miles) and I really need help on choosing the right torque converter but I don’t want to go over $350 on the TC and I can’t seem to find any from Markviii/Marauders.
I’ll be open to all other upgrade recommendations that range from bumper to bumper. Thanks guys! I’m ready to have the baddest Tbird out there!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
That is a VERY low budget for a converter. Usually you have to have at least $700 set aside just to buy it.

Theres only one brand thatll match your price. FTI with their Street Brawler series. Ive had them when they were first introduced. Has some teething issues but their current versions are alright. Since your stock Id get a SB2400DE.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Agreed. I would just stick with the stock converter until the new engine is ready to go in. Then you can match the converter to the Coyote's RPM range. Also agree that $700 is on the low end for a good converter.

But if you want a Marauder converter, keep in mind the Mustang also used the same converter for several years. Some other models also, like the Crown Vic Police Interceptor. You will also need the matching flexplate.

Al

Reactions: Esqueleto

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,274 Posts
The Marauder, Mark VIII and Mustang GT converters all used the same exact stall speed, the only difference with the Marauder one is its furnace brazed, which means basically nothing unless you’re a builder restalling it. You might still be able to get Ford remanufactured ones at a dealership, they’re less than $300 and if you have interim plans to go with a PI intake and cams or a PI motor before the coyote it will be much better suited to it than the stock 12” converter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks on the info guys. I wasn’t aware that TCs are regularly priced that high nowadays. I was so used to reading the older forums where people have been paying no more than $300 for one and i just figured I wasn’t looking right lol but I’ll definitely look for one that’s compatible for the coyote engine.

As for tracloc differentials with 3.73 gears, where should I look for those at?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trac lok needs to be 28 spline meant for IRS, so you’re mostly limited to finding one from another Tbird/Cougar. Gears can be purchased new, from numerous sources, lots of options for 8.8
Okay thanks for the heads up.
Any recommendations on other upgrades I’ll be needing to suit the Coyote engine? For example brake system, control arms, all that good stuff for the handling part of the car.
Oh and I’m also planning on getting a hub swap done for 5x4.5 bolts to throw on some cobra wheels. Will i be running into any issues doing that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a VERY low budget for a converter. Usually you have to have at least $700 set aside just to buy it.

Theres only one brand thatll match your price. FTI with their Street Brawler series. Ive had them when they were first introduced. Has some teething issues but their current versions are alright. Since your stock Id get a SB2400DE.
I noticed there’s 2 very similar models the SB2400DE you mentioned and the SB2400DES. The only difference are the bolt circle dimensions where the SB2400DE has a 11 3/8” and the SB2400DES has a 10 5/8”.
Which one would I need and which flex plate to go with it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.