TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I installed my rebuilt 4R70W and it works rather well. I can drive around and everything seems okay besides the Overdrive.

I think I know what I did, so here it goes.

I read somewhere that in 2004 they changed the Output Shaft Hub\Ring Carrier to a 24 count instead of the 6 count. The sensor is shorter and uses a completely different method of transmitting the signal.

I couldn't drive my car with the OSS plugged in. Once I unplugged it I could but without Overdrive.

I should have replaced the Output shaft Hub\Ring carrier with my 1995 Hub\Ring Carrier. I goofed and kept the 2004. I did however change the output shaft itself so I could use the VSS.

Is there any possible way to use the 2004 Output shaft Hub\Ring Carrier with the 2004 OSS on my 1995 Thunderbird Supercoupe?

I'm trying to avoid dropping it again just to replace the Output shaft Hub\Ring Carrier. I understand that might be my only option but I was hoping there was a way to convert the OSS signal so my PCM could understand and play nicely.

Thanks for any tips or tricks you can throw my way.

-B

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like you need an extended range speedcal from dallas mustang.
http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/SPEED-CAL-1994-2004-5-SPEED-EXTENDED-RANGE/7626
I thought the same thing but my speedometer is working....

I looked into that and I don't think it works for what I'm needing.

Am I wrong?

As of right now the only issue I seem to have is no overdrive.

Would this device correct that issue? From what I can tell it won't but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The only reason I don't think I have overdrive is because it started flashing on the gauge cluster.

I drove the car and it seems fine but I can only imagine that I need the OSS plugged in.

Suppose I could leave it unplugged but that'll just drive me crazy.

Can anyone explain to me in detail the function of the OSS?

<br>

·
Registered
518 Posts
The only reason I don't think I have overdrive is because it started flashing on the gauge cluster.

<br>
If your overdrive light is flashing you have a trans code stored. Find out what the code is and you should get the answer to your problem.

And if you're not sure overdrive is working count the times your car shifts.......or better yet datalog

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your overdrive light is flashing you have a trans code stored. Find out what the code is and you should get the answer to your problem.

And if you're not sure overdrive is working count the times your car shifts.......or better yet datalog
Good point. I grabbed a datalog the other night just never looked at it.

I'll be back :tongue:

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I'm willing to bet the code has to do with it not being plugged in. However I would think if your obd2 or 1.5 you'd be able to tune the computer to use the new sensor and higher count shell. That's a question for someone like Don.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alright, just took a look at the data log and it's shifting into 4th.

My old data log was skewed due to the OSS being plugged in, went ahead and took a short cruise around the hood.

Can't really give it a good spirited run like it needs. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm....

I looked for what I thought was called the OSSPULL# in Binary Editor but could not find it for the life of me.

BE 2010 B18 B18

CZAW0.cry W4D2.beb

If there is an area for me to update the settings within BE, I would be super grateful for the info.

Seems a bit violent in the shifts too, I'll go pull the codes next.....

EDIT:

Chris, I have a 95 eec-iv I do believe it's an OBD 1\1.5 vehicle. 3 code

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking a closer look at the data log I see that something is wrong with the shifting, way too shifty......

I'm seeing a gear 5 ??

Not to mention the throttle position is already at 1.69 before it even begins to show trans gear 1.

I'll need to research more at this point.....

Does anyone know what the OSS does, exactly?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just an update, I've fixed the problem.

I had to get Sailorbob to add the OSSPULL# scalar to the CZAW0 def file

Once that was done I only had to edit two things

OSSPULL = 24 (Orig was 6)

MNOSSPER = 150 (Orig was 600)

·
Registered
817 Posts
So as not to start a new thread. Im gonna be gettin another Bird soon and plan on keepin the 02 GM rans i got now to put in it. Its got 52k on it and shifts great and firm especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. Whats the thoughts on the jmod? Someone said I really dont need it with this trans. Im giving up the power of the DOHC so im going with the trans and gears on this new one. Lookin to get a 96/97 this time round.

·
Administrator
8,251 Posts
Most of the holes in the plate are the updated size, you can just remove the springs.

Joe

·
Registered
817 Posts
More or less trying to get a 96/97 to run with or better than a stock Mark with no or little motor mods. Hows the 02 GM trans, 390 gears and say a 3000 stall converter with a tune sound? Think that'll get me there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts