TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I have T-bird 1994 4.6 and I want to use TSB-95-08-03 http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/tsb/tsb-95-8-3.pdf
First problem is choice correct PCM.
We look at the table for 4.6 ENGINE/3.08 AXLE
My new PCM should be F5SZ-12A650-CA, but that PCM nowhere to be found. Later i found other PCM F5SF-12A650-CA and found out that this is the same.
For next step i need valve body(number in the table F5SZ-7A100-B), but i guess that with him will be the same thing.
Part number of valve body same for all gear ratio for 4.6 engine (in the table). If you have valve body separately from car please check number (http://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/369-aode-4r70w-75w-valve-body-identification) on them
and write in this thread.

I'm ready to buy a suitable unit.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Lev:
Welcome to TCCOA. Before you go about importing parts to Russia (as I cannot expect there are very many in russia), what is the underlying issue you are trying to address?

If the issue is with hesitation on shifts, the most common issues are caused by a worn 1-2 Accumulator piston (worn seal - updated in 96), worn EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) solenoid, and pressure regulator valve. While you are in there, some people also choose to update the transmission pan and matching filter to the one from a 96+ 4r70w.

Here's a great article that goes through issues with the 4r70w transmission.
TCCoA Tech Articles
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/trans-tech/4r70w_rebuild.html

Most people don't replace the valve body entirely but instead replace the components as needed. Ive bought parts needed from https://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/ or other similar websites (someone will likely be willing to ship overseas).
Here the the US, there are enough other 4r70w transmissions that sometimes it's easier just to swap transmissions. In your case, I would try and replace the worn parts in the Valve body first before considering a full 4R70w rebuild (ex: if you have burned out your OD band b/c of wide open throttle 3-4 shifts).
-g

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
You can use later transmissions from Crown Victoria or Gran Marquis cars up to 02, as long as the length is the same, and the wiring is rewired properly.

All that info is here somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First about the shipment. Delivery from address to address is VERY expensive, long and inconvenient. To simplify the use of intermediaries, for example https://www.concord-parts.com The seller does not need to think how to send a parcel to another country, he just sends it to the address in the states. I have been using this for a long time, there are no problems.
About spare parts. In Russia, almost all spare parts for all transmissions are sold.
The exception is spare parts for improvement (not always) or rare details.
Now about 4R70W. Of course my transmission has problems with shifting: 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, vibration TCC, flow through the front seal. While it works, but it`s 23 years old! And I'm too lazy to constantly repair it every time on a trifle. Full overhaul once and no problems in the future. This is my kind of repair with the update of all components.
Parts of transmissions are constantly updated. The same happens with the program in PCM.
Buying a transmission is not entirely profitable because of its weight, it will significantly increase the cost of delivery and eat all the benefits. In the end, it will be the same old transmission.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
The 94 trans, even after all possible upgrades, will not be as good as a 98-02 trans. If the cost of a good used 98-02 trans is less than or close to the cost of rebuilding your current trans, that would be a better option.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
The valve body is more reliable, the fluid paths through the case itself are better designed, the internal hard parts are stronger, the one-way clutch is redesigned, and is stronger. Basically everything in the trans was upgraded and improved over the years. The newer trans out of the box will be stronger, more reliable, and shift better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to HWYSTAR over at SCCOA you want to go with the newer PCM in accordance with the TSB. According to him and seemingly validated by this TSB the 1994 4R70W has reduced line pressure for the higher gears in an effort to save fuel. If you baby the throttle you'll roach the trans. The line pressure is high enough to manage the friction stuff in the trans when you're wide open throttle.

I have a 94 SC and experienced a total 3/4 failure in my 4R70W. I went with an '03 Mustang unit with 4000 miles on it but did not replace the PCM. If I roach another one I'm going to be certain to follow the steps in the TSB linked in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
10,768 Posts
I went with an '03 Mustang unit with 4000 miles on it but did not replace the PCM.
An 03 or later transmission will not have an output shaft we can use, and it's the last part out of the case.

03 might have one, 04 and later will not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well then it was a 2002. I was almost certain it was an '03. Oh well - either way I went with the absolute latest and have been enjoying the car for two years now with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts