TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Thunderbird SC has AOD in early models but how about '94-'95 SC's?

And what about '96-'97 4.6L cars?

Thanks!

Sami

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
All '94 and newer Thunderbirds/Cougars have the 4R70W.

·
The Parts Guy
8,021 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
;) Don't forget the 94-95 5-speed (M5R2) SC's.

-Rod
Well, yeah, that is kind of a given since he was asking about automatics. :gapteeth:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks for the answers.

BTW, is SC's 4R70W stronger than a regular 4r70W? Or is it just the same?

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
The SC 4r70w is the same as the V8 4r70w except it has the bellhousing bolt pattern for the V6 engine. The V6 4r70w's that are not supercharged have less clutch plates inside.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The SC 4r70w is the same as the V8 4r70w except it has the bellhousing bolt pattern for the V6 engine. The V6 4r70w's that are not supercharged have less clutch plates inside.
Do you know if the bell housings are interchangeable or are they part of the case?

·
Super Moderator
12,948 Posts
Damn; seeing Prestons' post gave me a headrush. I must need more likker, lol.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I swear when I looked at the dates that this thread was from 2 years ago. I try not to bump really old stuff.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,659 Posts
Do you know if the bell housings are interchangeable or are they part of the case?
There are some early 4R70W that have the SBF housing for mustang V6 cars. There were also some mounted to explorers with the 5.0. No AODs existed with the modular bell housing

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Registered
759 Posts
I figured they were. I’ve got to get started parting out my 4.6. I also just picked up a 95 SC automatic so I was going to keep the trans if it would fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts