TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend needs a trans in his 96 4.6 T-bird and can get a 4r70w out of a 96 3.8 car. Are there differences between the trans put in V-6's vs. V-8's? Will a v-6 trans work in a v-8 car? He is trying to keep this on the really really really cheap (v-6 trans is free, came out of a running car, motor used in a different swap.)
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,693 Posts
Won't work. The 3.8 has the SBF bell housing, and the 4.6 is a modular motor, so the trans physically won't even bolt up to the engine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Won't work. The 3.8 has the SBF bell housing, and the 4.6 is a modular motor, so the trans physically won't even bolt up to the engine.
if trying to keep as cheap as he said. could we at least swap the internals?and make 1 transmission out of 2 tiil we save up for rebuild (assuming that we're doing all the work, of course)

·
Super Moderator
7,693 Posts
You could do that, but then you would have done just as much work as rebuilding it, only to have a weaker transmission than stock. Your best bet is to go to a junkyard and pull a 4R70W out of anything with a 4.6. Preferably find the most f-d up car in the yard to grab the trans out of, because that way you know it drove to the scene of the accident, and therefore the trans probably works.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Preferably find the most f-d up car in the yard to grab the trans out of, because that way you know it drove to the scene of the accident, and therefore the trans probably works.
Someone that scouts cars like I do; scary! :)

I've done one for each car so far; you can find some nice low mileage trannys in Gran Marquis, and crown vics. Anything earlier than 03 will work; 03+ may not have the VSS drive teeth on the output shaft. It also can't be one from a police car; they're longer.

I bought ones that had 12k, 22k, and 40k, all ~$450 each. All were rear end collisions; very messy.

There was another one at about 12k miles, but the bellhousing had a crack in it; when I looked closer, I saw the driveshaft had been driven into the tranny. :eek: I did not know that would fit there, lol. (the side away from me was broken off...)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Guys, i will pass it along. Looks like a junkyard trip in his future.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i got a fully built one for sale for $1000.. not that far from Georgia.. just an idea... :tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts