TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a few older threads on this, but I am just looking forward to a replacement trans for the bird. I read there are two problems with trying to swap one of these into a 96: 1. The number of teeth on the output shaft. 2. The manual lever.

To handle the number of teeth issue, couldn't I just use a speed cal? I already have one hooked up would just have to change settings. Tss sensor isn't an issue because we can leave it unhooked, manual lever can be modified replaced easily enough. Is there anything that I am overlooking here? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I'm not running a speed cal so I'm unsure if it would correct the issues. I know I had to change my 97 output shaft, outer planetary ring gear, output shaft speed sensor, and modify the harness to make it all work. But I do know that I am running an 04 4r75w.

·
Super Moderator
17,160 Posts
I reused the Mustang manual lever on my trans for many years without issue, you just need to vice grip the cable to the lever when you secure and remove the mounting nut.

I'm almost certain you could use a SpeedCal on the OSS circuit, the main thing you need to make sure of is that you split the circuit into the former VSS branch and only have the speedcal on that branch, as the PCM needs to see the raw OSS signal. IOW you can't just install the speedcal as per their instructions in this manner.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the 4r75 is going to be one of those transmissions with the hole for the vss plugged/not machined? Is this a reliable way to id one of these transmissions? I have one laying around from a 04 cv.

You're saying I wire the vss circuit to the output of the speedcal, only tap into the oss for input? Would I need a tune for any differences in the trans? Like oss teeth count, vb differences? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,160 Posts
So the 4r75 is going to be one of those transmissions with the hole for the vss plugged/not machined? Is this a reliable way to id one of these transmissions? I have one laying around from a 04 cv.

You're saying I wire the vss circuit to the output of the speedcal, only tap into the oss for input? Would I need a tune for any differences in the trans? Like oss teeth count, vb differences? Thanks!
The hole is there, there's just a plastic cover where the VSS would go, but there are no teeth on the output shaft to drive the VSS gear, which is why people swap them out.

And yeah it would be TAP into OSS from trans - run to speedcal - run to VSS circuits. As intended the Speedcal is designed to be installed directly in-line to the VSS or OSS, but in this instance that won't work. You'll also need to have the tune updated, the OSS tooth count is different as well for the 4R75w.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good info here! Thanks! Wonder if the Jmod instructions would be the same as 98+. I would imagine there would be much less drilling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts