TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was well aware of the fact that the Cobra exhaust manifolds would not work due to the steering shaft angulation issue. I tried to modify the manifold to work on the driver side but resistance was futile. So now I have a predicament, I can either go with a Mark VIII manifold/cat assembly (which I would like to avoid because I'd prefer not to run catalytic converters because I am cheap) or do a true header set up (which I am leaning towards). That being said if I am doing a header set up I am going long tube, I am aware of the fact that no long tube is made to fit the car in a bolt on fashion and that is fine. I know a Mustang header can be modified to fit, and that is the plan.

My question to you gentlemen, is there a particular header that would be better to use? By better I mean less modifications required? I was thinking of doing MAC or a brand called Pacesetter (I haven't heard of them before) because they seem to be the cheapest.

As far as the steering shaft mod, I'd prefer not to do it because I am cheap and lazy :tongue:. I have a friend with exhaust knowledge and said that if I could get the headers he would do any modifications needed to make them fit for just the cost of material.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AFAIK, no one has tried anything but MAC on a 4.6 mn12.
Will the 4v ones work though? I have read a few articles on here but all I have seen are the 2v with long tubes.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
how much are the headers you are looking at?
cause right at $200 bucks you can get all the steering shaft stuff.
I know you said lazy, but fabbing headers takes a good bit of work.
From doing both, I would rather do the steering shaft any day than modify headers.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Will the 4v ones work though? I have read a few articles on here but all I have seen are the 2v with long tubes.
Be the first to let us know. Fabbing up just two primaries has taken me weeks working alone to get it done right and not have it looking half-azzed. The problem your friend doesn't realize is that you can't just route a couple tubes in however and expect it to work just from sheer memory recollection. You have to keep putting the header in place (either by itself or already attached to a loose cylinder head) over and over again, to see how it will really pan out with clearances around the steering shaft and the K-member. I have lifted that damn head in and out of the mock engine in my car literally over a hundred times. Sure you get a good workout, but it is a real PITA. Probably more than anything I've ever done on my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts