TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im getting close to putting the 4v in now, this swap is taking way too long because i have far too many distractions.

My concerns right now are the exhaust and a minor wiring thing. for the wiring, should i slice the wire looms and retape them to extend wires for the TPS and such or just cut and spice in extensions. I was thinking i should cut the looms but it may be more time consuming than just splicing in more wire.

2nd is the exhaust. Im not sure what i should do, Im thinking i should try to keep the cats but the one cat being part of the ex. manifold is bugging the crap outta me. Im going to get a new cat back done at a shop i think since i cant bend the pipes myself... I really dont like the thought of shops welding on my exhaust tho, they tend to suck, a lot. I just wanna see what some of you guys have done

*edit*
I should also point out this is a temporary setup as I plan to turbocharge this later. Otherwise I would throw down the cash on a set of kooks

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Just solder in lengths of the same gauge wire to extend the wires for the few plugs that need it.

I can't help you with the exhaust. I went with Kooks.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I kept the front cat shells and knocked all the stuff out of the insides of the cats.

If it helps, the cost of scrap on cats is pretty high. I've heard 50-150 per cat depending on the size of the cat. Those cats are pretty good size so they might be worth pretty goo money if you took them in for scrap. Don't know if that would help you afford Kooks or not but it's a thought. They won't be worth anything after you knock the crap out of them though.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I would just go with the Kooks. And, definately do what Rod said about splicing the wires. I thought I had a faulty wire in my harness once, so I took the whole thing out, inspected every wire, repaired the two damaged ones by soldering in a new section of wire, applied new split-loom tubing, and electric taped the whole thing. 14 hours, 5 rolls of electric tape, and 10 sore fingers later, I was done.

Avoid opening up the harness, unless you are really really bored or it's nescessary.

Pete

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok splicing it is, should i bother trying to relocate anything to 2v locations? it seems it would just be a PITA with all the hard vaccuum lines. wire splicing is probably the way everyone else went im guessing.

Should I bother trying to keep the cats for back pressure? I have an ultraflo-X muffler so they're gonna be the only back pressure i have. Id rather just weld in a 2 bolt connector in place of the catted side and gather my 3 cats up and scrap em to pay for some of the new exhaust work.

One more question, the lines that are comming forward from the top of the ex. manifolds, what are they, mine are cut and i was just going to weld them shut, thought i should ask before I do so.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
ok splicing it is, should i bother trying to relocate anything to 2v locations? it seems it would just be a PITA with all the hard vaccuum lines. wire splicing is probably the way everyone else went im guessing.
Put as much time into it as you feel like. I've actually started over from scratch on the engine harness a few times now. The first time was partially necessary and partially due to the poor fitment of the harness that I had. The second time was due to the KB SC install. And now I'm moving a few sensors around and getting the harness tucked away better while everything is apart.

Should I bother trying to keep the cats for back pressure? I have an ultraflo-X muffler so they're gonna be the only back pressure i have. Id rather just weld in a 2 bolt connector in place of the catted side and gather my 3 cats up and scrap em to pay for some of the new exhaust work.
If you don't have emissions, I'd scrap the cats.

One more question, the lines that are comming forward from the top of the ex. manifolds, what are they, mine are cut and i was just going to weld them shut, thought i should ask before I do so.
Two rubber hoses, right? Those go to the DPFE, which is part of your EGR system.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
metal actually, they look like small diameter egr tubes, thick walls, bolt to the upper front of the manifolds and bend forwards.
Oh, on the Mark 8 manifolds...I thought you were talking about the SOHC manifolds. I'm guessing you have a 97-98 Mark 8 engine, right? Those lines are both EGR lines, IIRC.

-Rod

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, i actually have time to work on this again, and its not raining.

so my concern right now is the 2nd coolant sensor... the dohc looks like it has a sensor in the driver side tube that has one of those, threaded slip on connector wires. Anyone know if i can pull that out and thread in my sohc sensor? Ill probly get to that in a few hours and try anyway but I wanted to let the question sit untill i get too it. Thanks guys.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Yes, you can replace the coolant temp sensor with the one from your SOHC.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
just buy prebent pipe or go to exhaust shops and ask to dig thru there scap bins for some pipe. you can find a bunch of misalaneous bends and build your own exhaust if you can weld it up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts