TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 tbird sport 5.0 with the AOD transmission that gave out on the OD so i am trying to figure out what to do before summer arrives.

I know a guy that has a 1993 super coupe with the M5R2 and he’s selling the car for 400$. Its not running and has been sitting in a feild for quite a while.

I would like to make my car manual and would rather have a manual tranny than an old AOD that might not last if I rebuild it. Also the gearing advantage of the manual would be great.

Ive never done a transmission swap, so if i would decide to do so, what would i need to purchase for the swap? If everything is there from the SC and the transmission is good, what else would I require to buy? I know theres alot of posts on this and guides but I just want a clear answer to what I would need to purchase to do the swap and bring my tbird back :)

Also would there need to be any hacking required or does the tranny fit in the tunnel? Same with drive shaft, would i need a new one or does one of the 2 fit?

im just trying to get the most info possible before buying anything thanks!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
5.0 auto to manual swap is easy. The M5R2 is a direct fit for your 5.0 and everything else will be brought over easily from the SC. The only cutting that is needed is where the clutch pedal master cylinder rod penetrates through the body. There is a dimple there, so you know where to cut.

Not sure on the electronics side of things though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5.0 auto to manual swap is easy. The M5R2 is a direct fit for your 5.0 and everything else will be brought over easily from the SC. The only cutting that is needed is where the clutch pedal master cylinder rod penetrates through the body. There is a dimple there, so you know where to cut.

Not sure on the electronics side of things though.
I thought i read something about needing a different starter, like one from a manual 5.0 and that i would need a different clutch plate and pressure plate and more stuff, is that true or does everything come from the sc and bolts on to the 5.0? Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I thought i read something about needing a different starter, like one from a manual 5.0 and that i would need a different clutch plate and pressure plate and more stuff, is that true or does everything come from the sc and bolts on to the 5.0? Thanks for the reply!
You need a flywheel, clutch, and starter from a 95 F150. Thats what I used for my swap. Also have to get the F150 block plate. Or, you can clearance the one you have. Have to take some material off where the starter goes other wise the gear with just tear on the plate. I used an auto plate that was clearanced.

Get more parts off that SC then just the trans/driveshaft. Get the diff, axles, springs, and sway bars, and front spindle assembly. All upgrades for your car.

If you have the space for it, strip it down to a chassis. Waste nothing. All can be added to ypur car or can be sold to other enthusiasts.

And for $400, youre in the green just getting the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need a flywheel, clutch, and starter from a 95 F150. Thats what I used for my swap. Also have to get the F150 block plate. Or, you can clearance the one you have. Have to take some material off where the starter goes other wise the gear with just tear on the plate. I used an auto plate that was clearanced.

Get more parts off that SC then just the trans/driveshaft. Get the diff, axles, springs, and sway bars, and front spindle assembly. All upgrades for your car.

If you have the space for it, strip it down to a chassis. Waste nothing. All can be added to ypur car or can be sold to other enthusiasts.

Im pretty sure but not 100% sure the 92 sport had the same diff, springs, sway bar and some other stuff from the SC. That was the whole point of the Sport package but im not fully sure.
Thank you for the reply though, so I will look into getting
-Flywheel
-Clutch (should I buy new?)
-Starter (should i also buy this new or refurb? Probably same price as used)
-F150 block plate
Is that all that you needed to get for the whole swap? (Other than SC parts) I just want to be 100% of what im doing before i do it, thanks alot for the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also do I need to get all the parts from a 95 f150 5.0 with a 5 speed? Or does it not matter? Are all the parts interchangle with the f150 for the engine configurations? Thanks again!

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,948 Posts
The diffs in both cars are 8.8 but the ratios may be different.

Joe

Reactions: JacobM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The diffs in both cars are 8.8 but the ratios may be different.

Joe
Yeah i will look over that after the transmission swap, anyways I was planning of changing the diff ratio, what is the Sport vs SC difference though?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Ratios are different. Your sport is probably a 3.08 and the SCs is a 2.73. Unless you can find the proper speedo gear swap the diffs. Also SCs were trak loks. I doubt the auto sports were.

Axles are also different. SCs were rated stronger, and passenger side was larger to help lower the effects of wheel hop.

Sway bars and springs, eh, might be the same. But get them. Cause you wont find others. And I know the springs on SCs are a set rate instead of progressive rates like after market springs. Which is better in terms of performance.

Idk about 92s but I know the brake spindles for 93s allow you put either PBR GT brakes, cobra brakes, and even brembos on if you decide to swap. Early style spindles dont.

From the SC for the trans swap youll need:
Trans, driveshaft, clutch pedal, brake pedal, fluid reservoir, clutch safety switch and wiring (to do it properly).

F150 you only need the flywheel, clutch kit, starter, pilot bearing, and block plate.

Get them new. Period. I got them off Rock Auto when I did the swap in 2019 for roughly $200, and that order had shocks included.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,422 Posts
Ratios are different. Your sport is probably a 3.08 and the SCs is a 2.73. Unless you can find the proper speedo gear swap the diffs. Also SCs were trak loks. I doubt the auto sports were.

Axles are also different. SCs were rated stronger, and passenger side was larger to help lower the effects of wheel hop.

Sway bars and springs, eh, might be the same. But get them. Cause you wont find others. And I know the springs on SCs are a set rate instead of progressive rates like after market springs. Which is better in terms of performance.

Idk about 92s but I know the brake spindles for 93s allow you put either PBR GT brakes, cobra brakes, and even brembos on if you decide to swap. Early style spindles dont.

Trans, driveshaft, clutch pedal, brake pedal, fluid reservoir, clutch safety switch and wiring (to do it properly).

F150 you only need the flywheel, clutch kit, starter, pilot bearing, and block plate.

Get them new. Period. I got them off Rock Auto when I did the swap in 2019 for roughly $200, and that order had shocks included.
It’s way easier to swap to the proper speedo gear than swap the diff

Sport suspension is indeed identical to SC, the shocks just don’t have the firm ride adjusters

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks alot for the help!

I will keep all of this in mind thank you!

So for the parts from the F150, its from a 95 5.0 manual trans on rock auto right? (I just want to make sure i get it right)

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
My understanding is that the sway bars on the earlier Sports will have the stiff sway bars; the only one bigger is the 89 sc.

Post up a pic of the sticker in the drivers doorjam. We can tell you what you have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My understanding is that the sway bars on the earlier Sports will have the stiff sway bars; the only one bigger is the 89 sc.

Post up a pic of the sticker in the drivers doorjam. We can tell you what you have.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Does rockauto sell the block plate or you got it from somewhere else?
I used an automatic block plate from an SC that I clearanced. Which Ive been running for 2 years.

Only things I meant to get new were the flywheel, clutch kit, pilot bearing, and starter. Those will go bad over time and are a pain to change out, so dont get one thats already had some life taken.

Im sure someone sells one, Ive just never looked for one. Google 95 F150 5.0 5 speed block plate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts