TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know we got the 5.0 guys and 4.6 guys and everybody has there own opinions on which they like better....

but i was wondering, stock for stock, which bird(or cat) is a better performer(quick, handling, top speed etc)...and which is more mod friendly?

i know the 4.6 is gonna be more expensive to mod but which motor is easier to mod and get more power out of.

just something im curious about

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Here we go now.... I'd say the 4.6 is the better performer, but the 5.0 is cheaper to mod as far as HCI goes. :zwall:

·
Registered
4 Posts
stock for stock the 4.6 is more powerful than the 5.0. 5.0's are easier to modify in the way that you can make very good power without forced induction. the 4.6 doesnt have many intake manifold upgrade, or many head upgrades, or cam upgrades, but the aftermarket for both engines is HUGE so you could go either way.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I have the best of both worlds - a 5.0L modular!
No where near the same as a SB 5.0L. However a mod motor that displaces 5.0L is pretty kick ass. A lot less friction than the push rod 5.0L.

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
It depends what your goals are. Stock for stock, a 4.6 will beat a 5.0 hands down. Also, up to a point, it is actually cheaper to mod the 4.6 as you can get PI heads and intake for a lot cheaper than a good set of 5.0 heads and intake. However if you want to get more than 300hp to the wheels, the 5.0 is going to start to become the better option, as just doing heads, cam, and intake will get you there with some other minor supporting mods. From 300 to 400hp, the 5.0 will be cheaper, but much over 400hp the 4.6 will start to become more cost effective because over that level you need to get a stronger block, forged internals, very expensive heads, etc. whereas the 4.6 block is plenty strong, and with a blower and a good tune, you can get up above 400hp on a stock shortblock.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It depends what your goals are. Stock for stock, a 4.6 will beat a 5.0 hands down. Also, up to a point, it is actually cheaper to mod the 4.6 as you can get PI heads and intake for a lot cheaper than a good set of 5.0 heads and intake. However if you want to get more than 300hp to the wheels, the 5.0 is going to start to become the better option, as just doing heads, cam, and intake will get you there with some other minor supporting mods. From 300 to 400hp, the 5.0 will be cheaper, but much over 400hp the 4.6 will start to become more cost effective because over that level you need to get a stronger block, forged internals, very expensive heads, etc. whereas the 4.6 block is plenty strong, and with a blower and a good tune, you can get up above 400hp on a stock shortblock.
thats just about answers what i was asking...thanks man!

thanks everybody else for your input to...keep on postin if you like though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've only drove a 5.0 bird before...But I've also drove a 4.6l DOHC Mark VIII. So my opinion on which is faster is void. :p

·
Registered
152 Posts
i know we got the 5.0 guys and 4.6 guys and everybody has there own opinions on which they like better....

but i was wondering, stock for stock, which bird(or cat) is a better performer(quick, handling, top speed etc)...and which is more mod friendly?

i know the 4.6 is gonna be more expensive to mod but which motor is easier to mod and get more power out of.

just something im curious about

I was about to ask this same question......

Heres a different spin on it..

95 4.6 vs 92 5.0

4.6 is stock with 140,xxx miles on it, the 92 has a fresh 5.0 motor ported E7 heads, and stock cam that as been advance 4*

wich is faster?

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Hard to say without driving both of them, but probably still the 4.6. What really hurts the 5.0 is the AOD. The gear ratios in it are just awful for getting our heavy cars up and out of the hole. Also advancing the cam will make the car feel faster and more responsive on the street because it increases low end torque, but whatever you gain on the bottom you will lose on the top, so it probably won't make the car any faster down the 1/4 mile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts