TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having spent an hour and a half under the hood of a 1993 Cougar 5.0 My thoughts are I have to give you guys props. I have been tooling around for more than 15 years modifying, upgrading and repairing various makes and models of vehicles and I haven't run across a more sadistic or difficult vehicle in a very long time. For something that is rear wheel drive this is one of the least accessible vehicles that I have come across. I can't even see the bell housing bolts. There are S.A.E. and metric bolts, sensors I have never seen and just an all out quirky vehicle. Who in the world would imagine you need a special tool to remove the power steering pulley? Every turn of a ratchet skins your knuckles and what is up with the TV connector, is it made of glass? ABS diagnostic ports with no visible ABS pump. Does this thing have speed sensitive steering? How long can a fuel system possibly hold pressure? I can't even see the motor mounts. Are the transmission cooling lines somehow connected to the engine......I bet they are somewhere. Do you really need to have all of the vacuum lines? I doubt I will ever figure out where they all go. How much Anitfreeze can one vehicle contain?

The worst part of all of this is that I am going to be transferring all of this stuff into a fox body mustang. ECU Sensors, the whole nine yards!!! YEP I am an idiot. I know there are easier ways to get a mustang going but.......I have the cougar.....It is only suitable as a parts car. I have the mustang shell. So here we go. I know that there is a ton of wiring and fabrication that will have to be done, I knew that going in I just never imagined that getting the donor to give up her goods would be this.............Cumbersome.

For those who are curious here is the plan:

1993 Cougar Engine, Tranny, ECU, Electronics, gauge cluster and shifter are going into a 1988 Mustang coupe. The biggest part of this I thought was going to be adapting the gauge cluster.......Sizing is not too different and I can cut and fiberglass all I want. The wiring will suck, I know that. Oh and also, I want the A/C to work as well. All of these things are possible with work. I will get there, very likely with the help of you guys.

For what I have so far invested I will come out ahead. My time is free and I enjoy fabrication.

Again, I give props to anyone who willingly works on these cars with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Buy a Ford EFI harness from http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/?p=3 and leave all the old crap behind.I swapped a complete running 5.0 HO out of a 89 mustang into my 74 Bronco and re-used the stock mustang harness and it was a pita.Now this new build we used the EFI harness and it is a piece of cake insted of trying to trace all 60 pins worth of wire.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I took the engine, transmission and entire wiring harness out of my '93 LX 5.0 and am putting it in my '73 F-100. I unwrapped the wiring harness and cut off everything that I don't need. It only took a couple of hours. Much better than spending $475 on some wires.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Yeah its an evil car whats also nuts about this platform is how the driveshaft is longer than the already big crown vic. Its really a rare type of car because of size weight and "sportiness." THis is also my first car I am learning to modify and I think about my long gone 85 crown victoria a lot when I am having trouble with this car accessing anything. Its really advanced for its time.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If you think a 5.0 is bad try changing the plugs on a SC.

But thanks for giving us respect that are crazy enough to work on a Mn-12.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts