TCCoA Forums banner

5.0 HO exhaust question

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  93T5.0.H.O. 
#1 · (Edited)
here we go, I am going to take my bird to the muffler shop on Tue and thus I have a few questions based on the limited videos I have seen on youtube to get a feel of what its going to sound like. In the past all of my previous V8 cars have recieved true duals simply because you cant beat the sound. Now experience has taught me that depending on internal engine modification versus bolt on mods that anything over 2.5 inches in diameter is overkill on a stock or bolt on engine. Backpressure is key to maintaining low end torque. What I cant stand is when you go to a muffler shop and try something other than duals and it ends up sounding like CRAP!, On these cars duals can get pricey, So my plan was to have the front portion of the exhaust taken out which would elimanate the first two cats along with the cat in the center and that little muffler crap which I assume is a resonator, and have a fresh 2 1/4 Y-pipe installed clean of any restriction. The rear portion will stay the same except the mufflers will be swapped out for a pair of single chamber 40's I have in the shed. one of the muffler guys told me that my car should have a factory stainless steel exhaust:confused: but I dont know, maybe hes on crack:D. Any ways has anyone tried this route on their exhaust and what are your thoughts??

#3 ·
If that guy said your car should have a factory stainless steel exhaust..He might just be crazy enough to tear off your catalytic converters and run some new downtubes free of any catalytic converters..It's not so much the catalytic converters that are the restriction though..It's the angle their on..

If you have trouble getting a custom exhaust done..Without catalytic converters and the such..Ask your exhaust guy ..If you bring a car to him on a flat bed with no plates,and tell him it's for offroad use only...That way he won't be held responsible if you get pulled over by the police..

Rayo..

#4 ·
ohh no no no I live in south florida, the least of my worries here is removing the cats. there are two dozen shops down here that will do that type of work, especially if its a trusted shop like the one I have used for the past 15 years. the state does not really crack down on that type of stuff here. But good point

#5 ·
So much BS. I wish I had had Mandrel Exhaust Systems when I did mine. Buy there system, take to your muffler guy as long as he is good at welding stainless. Back pressure "never" makes more power overall. It might at indidvidual rpm points only. It's like the car that makes 10 less pounds peak torque with long tubes over short tubes. They seem to leave out the point that car is a half a second faster in the quarter. Hate the fricking dyno queens selling parts. You have a '93, the real restriction is that 55mm throttle body and those tiny heads. Your downtubes are only 2" also. Not a problem when the car is farting into a single 2.5" pipe though.

Brad

#6 ·
look Ill give you a good example: I had a 93 mustang coupe with a stock cam, 1.72's on the exhaust and and the stock 1.6 on the intake, 19 lbs injectors, CL 73mm maf, no tune, stock headers or if you dont like calling them that then stock exhaust manifolds, 160 thermostat, electric fans, timing bumped up 12 degrees, advanced cam 2 degrees, stock exhaust with no cats and a pair of 2 chamber flows dumped, no EGR or air pump, automatic turned to stick with 355 gears. The motor made much better torque at this point with a stock Cobra intake, no port work. 12.90 at 112 mph the one and only time I took it to the track 5 years ago because the knuckle heads I was smoking on the streets with big dollar mods (cam, heads, big injectors, 2.5 mandrel bend exhaust, X pipe, big dollar intake combos) utter over kill. motors were 7000 rpm screamers, could not believe that those mods I mentioned on my old setup could do just that. Again supporting mods can advantage a good free flowing exhaust but it is a science in which can increase or decrease low end torque or hinder high end HP. In any case which can be wide and varied for what I want at the moment a 2 1/4 dual or even a 2.5 Y into a 2.5 mid spliting again will give me little or no top end restriction on a stock 200 hp motor, all I am looking for is a sound, even a dual 2 1/4 would work for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.