TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..I know its been asked, and I did a search but really didnt come up with what I wanted to know. Have the 95 4.6 and as all of you know the stock power sucks and upgrades, when found, arent cheap. I know people put Explorer engines in..but I want POWER!! I know GT engines more, so wondered what are my options? Love my Bird, its in PERFECT shape, paid off when I bought it, so why not have some fun! If anyone can direct me to links, sites, companys or anything, it would be great! Thanks in advance fellas!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Maybe instead of going through the hassle of rewiring for a 5.0L, just grab a 99+ GT motor and swap that in. Would get the benefit of the PI heads, and more stock HP to boot. I would think getting a pushrod motor in one of these things would be a PITA, but then again, who knows. I'm sure someone else will chime in w/ a better idea.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
There is a 95 bird in the readers rides where a guy did it, but personally I dont know why. The aftermarket is getting to a point with the 4.6 where it is not as difficult/expensive to build as it used to be, so the 4.6/5.0 debate is weakening, IMO. The 5.0 is a great motor, dont get me wrong, you can buy/build them to be very fast, very cheap. However, the 4.6 runs smoother, and gets better fuel economy from my experiances. Also, look at any special service crown vic...or some of the MN12's around here. the 4.6 will run for a LONG time before it needs a rebuild, considering it was maintained. I've heard of them going to like 500K in some cases, and 300K without a rebuild & such....it's crazy. The 4.6 is really a good motor, no disadvantage to the 5.0....I'd go with a 99+ 4.6--they have improved considerably since the early-mid 90s when they first came out/went in these cars.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree with Fordman and Earl... But if you really wanted a 5.0, I would think in theory it wouldn't be too hard to put in a fuel injected one from a '96+ Exploder.

Just my $.02...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts