TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what do you guys think of this ,do you know anyone that has got a complete 5.0 modular short block or just thei kit ?i called and and asked about them they said they picked up 47rwhp with stock heads and cams i didt ask if they ran it with pi or NPI , and i also asked what if you got P*P heads and a set of cams what would the gain be they said about 100rwhp or close to .
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product.phtml?p=37
Jurgen

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Wait until the big one comes out. It'll will be more expensive, but worth the gains. The plan is to get 359Ci out of an aluminum block. The 5.0 showed not enough power inprovement to justify the price. I think some mag tested it and the difference was like 15rwhp.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I really don't see the point of a stroker 4.6L. A stroker in a 4.6 (which already has a considerable stroke to begin with) doesn't seem to be a really efficient upgrade for the price especially when a stroked 4.6L is already on the market (5.4L). Not only that, a 4.6L stoker kit will put more stress on the already thinned cyl walls because of the higher piston speed and the wider angle that the crank and rods will have @ BDC. The closer the angle gets to 90*, the more of a tendency the crank will have to try and "push" the rods out through the sides of the block on the upward stroke from BDC. The 5.4L's taller deck height allows for a longer rod that prevents such and angle. That's one of the reasons why 347 kits for the 5.0 were problematic for the first few years of production (still have questionable reliability today). I would guess that this would have been thought out before this kit was produced, but you never know, and I have only seen one car with a 4.6L stroker so far. The car made good power, but nothing that couldn't be accomplished by a 5.4L with DOHC heads (it was an '03 marauder with the 4.6L DOHC heads and a stroker shortblock). The only real displacement building upgrade that I see as a worthwhile choice that is available for the 4.6L is a .020 over bore. Just think, if the 4.6L had the same bore as the 5.0L, it would be a 357ci! A .020 over bore would better take advange of the 4.6's revving ability with a suitable flowing cyl head and intake as a compliment.

just my .02.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The only thing is that it isn't a stroker kit. It is a big bore kit. They heat up the alum. block and put a new cylinder sleeve in to increase the bore from 3.54 to 3.70. I think I would let them assemble it, because to do it effectively the block needs to be heated up. The cylinder walls are pretty thin, but they haven't said anything about problems yet. On corral there are people testing out new big bore and stroker kits. I would keep a check over there. Hope that helps.

Russell

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok here is what i learned i talk to modular performance today after i made this post and they had the 5.0 short block too and they said it wast a stroked 4.6 its how 96bird explained its a big bore kit , they said they sell em for like 5995 and it has a cobra crank and all the good stuff and he said that not alot of 2v guys have tryed em out yet to know how much they will make with P*P heads or cams or whatever he said that a few 4v guys have told em that they have made 350-400 rwhp thats on cobras , they told me they have a 99 GT and they swaped just the short block and theres nothing else done to this gt and they are makeing i think he said 265+rwhp and like 310 or 320 rwtrq .So whos working on this 5.9l 369 ci i been hearing about?

Jurgen

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Jurgen said:
So whos working on this 5.9l 369 ci i been hearing about?

Jurgen
The same people that are making the 5.0 pictured above. Its not official yet, so far it only been rumors. I think its pretty much a 5.4 with the 3.7in bore, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I think the 369 c.i. motor will make a great truck motor! lol I just think the stroke is way too long. Big block length stroke in the 5.4. I have seen a guy from corral with a DOHC 5.4 and he has a billet crank and rods. He said the piston speed is crazy. I think it would be alright with a Kenny Bell blower on top and 6000 rpm max. I think it will be to much money for my taste anyway. It should be interesting to see what the first cars with the big motor run though.

Russell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts